Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Brother's in the kitchen

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Sep 28, 2006.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Now the Nanny State is going to mandate what you eat too!!! Just wait for the rest of the country to follow suit:

New York City Plans Limits on Restaurants’ Use of Trans Fats

The New York City Board of Health voted unanimously yesterday to move forward with plans to prohibit the city’s 20,000 restaurants from serving food that contains more than a minute amount of artificial trans fats, the chemically modified ingredients considered by doctors and nutritionists to increase the risk of heart disease.

The New York prohibition would affect the city’s entire restaurant industry, by far the nation’s largest, from McDonald’s to fashionable bistros to street corner takeouts across the five boroughs.
    The city would set a limit of a half-gram of artificial trans fats per serving of any menu item, sharply reducing most customers’ intake. The fats are commonly found in baked goods, like doughnuts and cakes, as well as breads and salad dressing.
    Officials said that the typical American diet now contains 5.8 grams of trans fats per day, and that a single five-ounce serving of French fries at many restaurants contained 8 grams of trans fats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/27/nyregion/27fat.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Fuggin ridiculous.

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Chicago is doing it, or trying to do it, as well. I think we all knew it was coming when the health Nazis started comparing smoking to fat.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I feel the same way about smoking in a sense - its cheaper to ban some things than to have to pay for the fat fockers when they have heart attacks instead of big mac attacks.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Don't ban anything , I work hard for my health insurance , and its my God given right to die before my wife like my forefathers :wink1:

5. cbbr

I suppose that I should elaborate. When they, for a while, did away with helmet laws here, you could ride without a helmet only if you had proof of medical insurance with you. Seemed like a good idea to me.

Maybe you should have top show your blue cross card to order a big mac.

I generally hate govt regulation of almost anything and I have no problem with you eating/drinking/smoking yourself to death if you are picking up the tab. God knows I am.

6. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I own a restaurant and I agree with ban. The consumer will still be able to eat fries, doughnuts, and the like. The restaurant will have to find a new ways of producing it. I perfer my fries cooked in pure peanut oil instead of the crap that McD's uses (hydrogenated crap).
    A ban on cig's is differnt because the consumer will have no other choice to smoking, in the trans-fat case the food will still be produced, might even taste better.
    It's only a matter of time before some fat fuc* tries to sue me because he ate too many steak and cheeses and had a heart attack. This ban will not only help with peoples health but also to help restaurants from being sued just like the tabacco companies.

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I concur, bear. A couple years ago my friend and I noticed "Contains 0 grams trans fat" on the back of a Fritos bag. Did some research, and came to the conclusion that trans fat is some wicked ****. From what I recall, your body doesn't process it out- it's cumulative, and that's what makes it more unhealthy than the alternatives.

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Last year Health Canada made it mandatory for the entire food industry to break down their fat content on labelling and show exactly how much trans fats are in a given product. Let's face it- hydrogenated oil is downright nasty, and I looked forward to the new labels.

Oddly enough, right about the time the new labels started showing up, 90% of the products on the shelf became "trans fat free". Did my potato chips, cookies, and other snacks taste any different? Not at all. Which makes me wonder- would the companies have chosen to do this themselves if the Gov't hadn't stuck their nose into it? Probably not. I applaud Health Canada for sticking their nose into things this time around.

For those of you who don't have a problem with hydrogenated oil, spend a few minutes and read up on it. I think you'll agree that it's one product that needs to be off the shelves, especially when there are WAY healthier options available.

In fact, if you've got some time on your hands, click on the link below to learn a little more about trans fats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

9. cbbr

Most of them were probably trans-fat free to begin with, they just had a new ad. Its mostly deep fried carp that is loaded with trans fats.

10. Can Can

Nope. Most commercially-prepared cookies, potato chips, corn chips, and some snack crackers available in Canada were cooked with hydrogenated oil, which allowed for less or no refrigeration and a WAY longer shelf life. When the new labelling regs came around, all the manufacturers switched to canola or sunflower oil.

If you guys down South don't have the trans fats labelled on your packagaing, I dare you to get ahold of a snack food manufacturer and get them to send you out a nutritional factsheet on one of your favorite snacks and see how many trans fats are hiding in there.......:deal:

11. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Hey gjk5. Let's put lead paint back on the market too! My kids are not retared enough from eating the lead free paint off my window sills! Stuff like this makes me angery the more I think about it.
    WE DONT WANT THE GOV. INTERFEARING WITH OUR RIGHT TO CHOOSE! Well the food companies choose to kill you with a cheaper way to make your food, why are not mad at them? THE FED'S CHOOSE TO LET THE LOCAL GOV.'S MAKE THE CALL ON KATRINA, now everyone balmes the fed's for not coming to thier rescue.
    Maybe the fed's think your are a retard for eating crappy food to begain with? I have health insurance! Let me eat what I want! F*** you as a bussiness owner I have to pay more into health care because your a fat f***.
    I'm don't mean to come at you personally, but at the part of the US that thinks the same way.

**RANT OFF**

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Can Can: A law came into effect a while ago (aboot a year after Frito-Lay started labelling) that trans fats must be listed on the nutrition information. I actually applauded Frito for doing it pre-emptively, whether they had to change their process or not.

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Wow, first you insinuate I'm gay in another thread and now this??? What the hell did I do?

First I'll say that I eat pretty healthy and I'm not a fat f**ck, and as far as unhealthy eating I agree that it's not a good idea. I do however have an issue the gov. telling people what they can and can't eat. When we stop paying for millions on welfare to get better benefits than I do, I'll start being concerned about the additional costs of fat f**cks to the healthcare system.

I am against government interference in my personal life on almost every level, that's the long and short of it. We have simply legislated away the right to choose to be an idiot or the right to jump into an early grave. Natural selection did that just fine for millions of years, now I guess the federal government has taken over that role. Simply one more example of the gov. deciding that we are too stupid to make our own decisions.

and one more thing: CAN YOU SAY SPELL CHECK??

14. JOEDEZZY

JOEDEZZY 1/2 ton status

If we're dead we cant pay taxes, they're protecting they're income.

15. cbbr

They label it here, and like you have noticed, everything is free from it. i thought that it always was in most cases, but I could be wrong.

16. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Sorry gjk5, did'nt even look to see who wrote the other post. I had known I would have changed nothing:D .
    I just don't feel it's the right thing to blame the gov. for this one. Food companies will sell you anything they think you will eat. They care nothing (in most cases) for the long term effect of it. The gov. is right to try and protect us in this respect because the masses have no clue what transfats are and how bad they CAN be. Everything is fine in moderation but the food co.'s main concern is profit. I am in the food bussiness and see it first hand. In most cases some people (you in this case) just see the hand of big brother, hence your title, in their bussines. When you step back and research a little before yelling about the government you see that they might be right.

BTW, I completely disagree with smoking bans in any form. Most smokers, I used to be, know how bad it is.

Also, sorry again, I forgot my meds today and I'm feeling a little confrontational:mad:

17. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Hey, at least you're honest!:D

To me it's just a slippery slope thing, let them mandate this and then........?

Again, it's not that I disagree with any of you on this, I don't think people should eat that crap either, I just have a problem with the increasing governmental control on our lives/choices even when those choices are bad ones.

Or maybe you're feeling confrontational and I'm feeling paranoid and conspiracy filled and it's just one of those days.

18. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Just cook everything in bacon grease, all natural and tastes great.

19. Can Can

Understood, Dave. But how would you like it if your taxes dropped by 10% because you no longer had to pay for people who choose to destroy themselves somehow?

20. cbbr

I'm all for that, but you can never really legislate all of the stupid away.