Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Carnage on Lower 2!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by keith, May 26, 2002.

1. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Met with Yield2me up at Tellico early Sat morning. He wanted to do lower 2 and upper 2. I tried to talk him out of lower 2 with his 1/2 ton gear and no locker. I tried. We headed out and it was great. Two trucks in front of us broke driveshafts right of the bat. Then it was a tie rod on a toyota. We then proceded to drag the 14 bolt up lower 2. yield2me (Rob) was doing great until I kept telling him to mash the skinny pedal. Well it happend right when she started bouncing. "snap" the stub shaft broke clean into. Then we pulled cable for what seemed a mile. Then we noticed a dark fluid dripping from the truck. Sit still for a while and it was a puddle. Upon further inspection the right motor mount broke causing the tranny to torque and spring a leak between it and the case. We changed the axle (a few times) and went on our way up. In the same group lower 2 claimed 2 ball joints ripped from the knuckle, and put a fist size hole in a beadlocked 44 bogger. That was cool to see. Guy had lots of money! We then went to upper 2 a less challenging but fun trail. It can reach out a grab you though, as Rob found out. There is a large rock that forces you into the wall (in a fullsize) and rips the taillight out. Welcome to the club Rob! We had a great time and even with all the carnage to the Blazer Rob smiled and had a good time. Rob brought a friend (Chris) that has Ford but he was cool besides the ford thing. Great day on the trail during Memorial Day. Got to ride with 2 Special Forces Green Berets!!. Now let Rob and Chris tell there version.

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I believe I know just the rock you're talking about-what about you Grim?

3. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

someday I be a member of that club...lol

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

"Dont worry, your open in the front, just give it some gas cause your not gonna break."

10 feet later--"BANG"

Well, we made it back ok, the ole 6.5 TD hummed along sipping 1 gallon of diesel per 12 miles dragging my now dented blazer!!!

Yup, when Keith called and asked what trails i wanted to do, i told him upper/lower 2, and like he said, he did try to talk me out of it!! I still cant believe all the carnage from that stretch of rock. after the "power by Warn" finish to the top, we started changing the stub shaft, and after seeing what everybody else was breaking, i got off pretty lucky!! we saw welding, a ripped up bogger, a smiling tie-rod, knuckles ripped off the axle, blown front d-shafts---man, 2 was taking names!!!

upper 2 was a real nice little ride, enogh of a challenge to keep it fun, but not so much to be exhausting!! except for chris, who was spent from being on the business in of my cable! then much to keiths delight, it happened---climbing up an edge that was a little off camber, the truck slid right, and since my front is open, i couldnt climb straight up, so i had to back up a little (of course with keith saying come on, come on with the video camera rolling)to give it a little bump. i got lucky the first try, but the second is when it got it--snap,,,red lens on the ground.. i did know my time was coming, because i have seen most of the GA boys with the crushed sheet metal/broken tail light combo!

anyways, we had a great day trip, and thanks keith for driving up and riding with us and showing us around!!!
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

rob

6. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds like a ton of fun, man I wish I could have gone. Grim, we no whinee about sheet metal damage :^) if ya aint breaking parts its not carnage! LOL

I have done my hood, drivers door twice (onece laying it on the side) front passenger fender twice, and both rear quarter panels at one place or another, take a hammer and bang it on out. Weld it up and wheel it some more.

Hmm, I have not lost a WHOLE tail light yet, just parts of the drivers side one twice and passenger side one once.

Keith, where is the VIDEO!

Depdog

7. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I dropped the video off at Jim's house so he can see then I need to make a copy for Rob. Its fun going with others and watching with your rig back at the house safely in the garage:) Crawfords Camp is great too. Vey nice showers and a large rockgarden and a mud pit. It was big and very clean. They even provide all the wood you can burn. We need to stay there next time.

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i need to get a beat up old K5 that i can beat up more i don't wanna sacrifice my suburban on something like that.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Video is at my house. I just finished watching it. I finially gave up on the stock tail lights and made a plate to hold some trailer lights. My junk will be on the road this weekend and should be trail ready again soon.

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Keith,

Could I get some video? I really want to make the trip down sometime soon and I want to see what you are getting me into!

later,

Neil

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Wow! Glad yall had some fun! Yall definately broke some shiat /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Can't wait to wheel with yall again someday...
    Boss

12. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I figure you will lead this time as we do lower 2 back to 1 then up 4 to 8 then to 9 then back out. All these mods everyone has done we will have no trouble! . Hope to have some more mods done to mine by then to. I figure these people to be there:
    Myself, Big Deal, Depdog, Bigjbear, Grim, Yield2me, Boss,Titanic. Any others up for the Challenge? First weekend in Oct. Dixie Run, Tellico ORV area. Great campng.
    Thats probably not the trails we will run since they have a certain schedule to keep things running smooth. But we will do some good ones.

13. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Cool, I'm game! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm their. Maybe the Warn fairy will drop a 9500i and some alloy shafts on my door step before then /forums/images/icons/smile.gif