Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Cloud O' Smoke....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Jul 16, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Big Cloud O\' Smoke....

Well, I recently rebuilt a 305 (honed cylinders, new rings, bearings, gaskets, etc) and was driving it over to a shop to get it safety inspected today. My gf was driving behind me in her car just to make sure I got there ok. She reported to me that my truck was belching alot of white/grey smoke. Is this just because my rings have not yet been broken in and the cylinder walls as well? Or, is it something else do you think? If its just the rings seating, how long can I expect it to be before they are broken in? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Re: Big Cloud O\' Smoke....

Anyone?!

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I guess no one knows?

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess no one knows?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not everyone can sit online all day /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I am sure if you give this post some time someone will answer it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But I would guess the problem is the motor is not broken in yet or it could be a carb that is running too rich.

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

white smoke usually means a head gasket.black smoke is oil.white smoke is antifreeze getting in the chamber.or else too rich in the carb and raw fuel is coming out the exhaust.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

White smoke could mean a head gasket. I doubt that would be it though as long as you never let the engine overheat. My freshley rebuilt motor smoked a little white somke for a while but it stopped. Did you have the radiator boiled out before putting the engine back in? It is a very good idea. Most rebuild shops wont even warranty an engine unless the radiator was boiled out. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif A partially clogged radiator wont cool your engine enough, and you dont want that on a new engine.
    -Harrison

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

White smoke = coolant
    Blue smoke = oil
    Black smoke = fuel

Could be just the intake not sealing, or the head gasket....

8. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifMy rig belched out white puffs of smoke after I installed a fresh 350 and it turned out to be the vacuum modulator suckin tranny fluid into the intake!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifJust a thought?I replaced the vacuum modulator and no more smoke!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif