Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Diesel Swap in a K30? (pics)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seattlek5, Aug 8, 2003.

1. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any info on swapping a big CAT or Detroit into a K30? I saw this rig on POR and got to thinking about putting a CAT with a Super 8 trans into my towrig. I'm thinking a V8 w/ turbo. Post your links or any info you have please /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW!!! Very nice! Very cool! I love those old Highboy Fords! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is an exceptionally clean install!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Why not go with the 5.9 Cummins? They are common enough and can be modified to make stupid power...

Rene

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Because big rig diesel in a pickup is cool!

Wow! I think those Fords are ugly as hell, but perfect for a swap like this.

5. tRustyK5

LOL...the cool factor is very high! However, there is a lot more to a truck than looking cool and the 'big diesels' come with a whole new set of problems to overcome. Mainly weight and an excessive amount of torque. To have to truck be useful you need a drivetrain that can regularly handle over 1000 lb of torque and some serious front springs and tires.

I guess it depends on how you want to use the truck...

Rene

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Any heavy duty truck tire would be fine in load range D or E. Bias ply Swampers could easily take the weight as well. That's not even mentioning the line of Michelins from the Duece and a half trucks that are available in 16" sizes about 38" tall and are radial, smooth riding, and easier to balance than even the mud tires of today.

Leaf springs make getting the right springs easy....and a D60/14 ff with the right driveshafts would be plenty for that amount of torque unless you were just plain stupid with it.

The major problem I see is the narrow powerband and the transmission that you'd have to run would be 9-15 gears to keep the engine in its powerband. Semi engines have a powerband unlike any pickup truck Diesel that'd be hard to overcome, and any transmission that would be ideal would have all kinds of clearance problems and don't even ask me how you'd make the 4wd work.

7. tRustyK5

A nice wide ratio box would be fine for that...the only time you'd need 15 gears is for pulling 100,000 lbs behind you./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif With a 500 rpm idle and a 2100 rpm redline it'd do just fine with a Clark 5 speed and a divorced case.

Crawl that monster in the rocks and see how long a D60 would last...I'd say 'rocks' would be a better choice.

Rene

8. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I plan on keeping the stock size tires on it. I just pust a set of '01 Chev HD aluminum wheels and E-rated tires on it. Looks real clean. I went to CAT's website and took some measurements off the truck. I think a 3176B (~1200 lb)will fit, but I really wanted a V8 and am not sure what applications to look in to find a used one with a transmission. Does anyone know what kind of weight rating an 8-lug D44 will handle. I'm pulling the 60 to put in the K5. Remember this is a tow rig that will rarely see 4wd, other than the occasional trip over the pass in the winter.

9. tRustyK5

I really have no idea...but maybe one of the GM Topkick trucks would have something that'd work for ya? The topkick cab is basically a C/K cab with a one piece tilt front end, so as far as physical room it should be OK. The rad might be interesting to make fit though.

I think they're 5 ton or better depending on how they were spec'd. I think it'll be hard to look for a particular model of truck because most models could be spec'd with almost any brand of powertrain and tranny.

There is a place near here called '99 truck parts...kind of a wrecking yard for the big boys. Prolly ton's of good candidates in there, not sure of what the prices are like though.

Rene

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

3176 is OLD and really goofy engine
    it uses an aluminum deck plate/spacer thing to add to deck hieght

the modern version is C12 or C10 and they made the cast iron block the full hieght and did away with the spacer

the C12 I drove put 410hp to the ground @2100rpm
    when I sent it to be checked for turbo failing
    2 weeks later the turbo went through the motor
    felt more powerful after a rebuild and new turbo

V8 diesels are not cool I6 is where it is at

11. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

The 3176 should have been the optional "big" engine for the top kicks or kodiaks. I had a look at the GM site a while ago and that is what was listed. Also, the Frames are completely different on the Top kicks and the tilt hood actually gives a lot more room than the standard full size has. The cummins 5.9 looks tiny in the engine bay of a Ford F700(600) and the Chevy Top Kick/Kodiak is very similar in design.

12. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

seattle k5

the dana 44 will hold the weight of the 5.9 cummins for about 3 months then you will have to rebuild again....

the d60 will do just fine with the weight of the cat..

13. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I believe you meant 3126B which is a medium duty electronic engine. Your best bet if you want a Cat is a 3208 or a 3116 or 3126 if you dont mind electronic engines. If you want to go Cummins, a 5.9 is a great engine. There are tons of trans choices you have with these engines from NV4500s for the Cummins to 5 and 6 speed Spicers for the Cats, as for autos you have Allison AT545s for the Cats and Dodge and Chevy autos for the Cummins (you can get Chevy bolt pattern bellhousings for adapters).

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ACrawl that monster in the rocks and see how long a D60 would last...I'd say 'rocks' would be a better choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't really thought of 'wheelin the truck at all. Here, to me, 4 wheeling means mud. A powerband that narrow would be completely useless for mud, so I hadn't considered using it for that.

I was thinking about the ultimate tow rig. It didn't really HAVE to be 4wd or anything, but to me, it's always nice to have a 4wd tow vehicle. The only reason I was thinking that the D60 would be necessary is that the kingpin design could take the weight better.

If we're talking about wheelin' the thing, a V8 Diesel sounds like the best option to me. It turns a few more R's and will hopefully net a few more ponies. We all know that the ISB Cummins is able to make plenty of power though so even though it's an I6 it'd do fine in a pickup.

But for rock crawling, I suppose a low idle and tons of low end torque would be great and you could run 2.73 gears and it'd still crawl like crazy!!

I think if I was going to do the Diesel swap for anything, I'd put a 4 or 6 cyl Diesel in a shortbed truck with tons of overdrive and high rear gears to get 30+ MPG and drive a fullsize truck every day that would do insane burnouts.

15. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    V8 diesels are not cool I6 is where it is at

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The I6 is the better choice. The little Cummins B makes tons of torque at low R's which will get your truck, trailer and toys up the hills with ease. The 6 will last longer and get better mpg too. Too bad GM didn't get the Cummins for their pickups.... /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I ran across a '77 K30 crewcab that had a 6V-53 detroit in it. It majorly filled the engine compartment. Had a 5spd clark behind it. Now that I have a digital camera I lost the guys phone number /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

17. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Cool factor is high on this truck for sure. But this guy did some major work to his truck. If you really want the diesel go for a 12 vavle cummins with the 6 speed behind it lots of power and great milage, plus with the right exhaust it sounds like a big rig diesel. Plus the cummins and tranny can be had for a really decent price.

Tim

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

6 speeds can't be had for a really decent price, they are more like obscene. 5 speed NV4500s are more decent on price. 6 Speeds aren't as much fun in my opinion, the shifting fields weird compared to the 5 speed. If I were buying a new Diesel truck it would be a Cummins with a 6 speed though. My buddy left the local hang out last night and went through all 6 gears in about 150 feet. It was funny cause he was being yelled at cause he shifts a lot.