Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big fat hole in condenser coil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Apr 2, 2007.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

with the texas summer just around the corner, i'd sort of like to get my k5's a/c working. it looks like the po jabbed a screwdriver into one of the 180 degree bends at the end of the condenser coil. needless to say, this makes it a little tough to keep freon in.

a new coil costs way more than i want to spend, and most junkyard coils i've seen are pretty trashed. anyone soft soldered new pipe onto one of these coils and had it hold pressure? i worked commercial building a/c, years ago, but handled the electronic/electrical side more than the plumbing. plus, automotive a/c is a little different.

can't hurt to ask.

also, i have a sticker on mine that says it's compible with both r12 and r134a. that's sems a bit unusual.

2. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

Ive used JB weld on one in my mazda back in the late 80's and is still holding....

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

woah, seriously? nice cheap fix (since i already have some laying around).

4. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

I'd just solder the hole, it should hold fine.

5. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

you could also take it to a radiator shop, they could probably fix it.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

$150ish is too much for the correct condensor with the 134a conversion??? I am willing to bet the freon was converted, but not the condensor,,,it WILL work better with the right one.

that's about all i paid for the 134a condensor, many more smaller tubes, and lots more fins....

personally i would just buy new...

7. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Automotive condensers are made out of aluminum. THIN aluminum! A good welder may be able to TIG weld it if it is easily accessible. There are aluminum brazing products out there, and some work well, but they aren't the easiest to use. The melting temp of the braze isn't much lower than the base metal, so it is easy to mess up and melt the whole tube :doah:. I have to agree that JB weld (or JB quik, which is what I have used) works really well. Make sure the area is sanded and absolutely clean. Cover the hole with the mixed epoxy, and as insurance put a small piece of aluminum, steel, brass, etc. over the top of it. I have had such fixes work for years. This fix works for aluminum radiators as well:wink1:

FWIW I got a brand new R134A condenser (can be used with R12 also) for something like $105. If you can't fix it a replacement isn't that expensive. I did my whole AC, replacing everything except the evaporator, for $400. No reman parts either, all new. Here's the thread: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193200

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I'd take a look at durafix.com

I see some rods at home depot, I bought a stick or two, havent tried it yet. Looks like similiar stuff.

9. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

durafix sounds just about right. thanks.