Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BIG filter or normal one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I've got another wild hair up my a$$ and want to build a dual snorkel air cleaner. Right now I'm running the tall cleaner that came with the '82 when it had a 305, it now has a 350. i want to add another snorkel to it, take out the charcoal screen, and put in a K&N. I know it sounds dumb to be asking but should I stick with the tall cleaner or does the standard cleaner have some kinda advantage. I figure I might want to cover all the bases before laying down any cash.

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd have to say the tall one is the way to go..more air already in the cleaner housing when you decide to romp on the gas means less air that has to immediately be sucked in through the smallish intakes. I've already made a shrtie style dual snorkel ais cleaner, I'm gonna make my tall one the same way. FWIW, the bases of the air cleaner should all be the same, its the lid and air cleaner nut stud that are different. Snorkels are the same also.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yeah!!! I have wanted to do this too... but can't really weld... been thinking of trying a salvage yard and then get the big sized top... then just get another snokel and have two! [​IMG].... Let me know how this quest goes.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Man! I thouhgt I was the only one with the factory looking dual snorkle idea! I've yet to have the time to do it but I've got all my parts and know exactly how I'm doing it. I have a 87 350 tbi, for you guys that have done it, will I notice anything when I acually get the dual snorkle intake done and put a k/n filter in it? I know this isn't my post but it is kinda the same thing. :-)

Ben 87 Jimmy

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Check this out:
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

WOW! I put the K&N in and it rocks! I can't imagine what another air intake will do and hopefully I can remove that inner screen without causing any issues. I guess we'll have to keep in touch with each and share tips and progress reports.

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dad is already running this on his 454 K20. Stole the idea from me what i did on my Cutlass. Its carbed, so you can really here when the secondaries open up now, as compared to before, it was relatively quiet. Sound really means nothing though..those air filters were designed to muffle the sound. It has to increase performance though, the factory air cleaner is only rated to a paltry 450CFM or something.

All you need is a 2 or 4 barrel truck lower half. Drill out the spot welds (pretty sure there are four) and pop rivet it to your air cleaner. Cut out the inside and you are done. I don't like the pop rivet look, so I had my friend weld mine, but whatever floats your boat.

BTW, you can still buy the Camaro dual snorkels from GM..but they will not accept the air inlet tube, thus defeating the purpose of the dual snorkel setup....more cool air is much more effective than hot air.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Actually there's a few of us who want to do this...I had a "conversation" with someone a couple weeks ago about this very subject. IMO, the bigger filter's increased area means less restriction and MORE POWER!! AHHHH AHHHH AHHHHHHH Good old Tool Man... When I can get to it, I'm gonna get another filter housing, drill out the spotwelds for the snorkel, and rivet it to my current housing. Then I'll make the housing taller with a band of sheetmetal, to accomodate a taller filter. That's my plan in a nutshell...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!