Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big ? for ya.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79CK454, Jan 24, 2005.

1. 79CK454

79CK454 Registered Member

What do ya think about putting a strong rebuilt 283 in my 79 1/2 short box truck? (It originally had a 454 in it).:confused: Thank for the input!

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

all up to you, its your truck, if you want higher a rev lower rpm torque/ higher horse(top end) engine and somewhat less gas useage most RPM's then sure, all up to you, and plus truck engines were hi torque and have more low end torque and lower compression than turbo fire(car engines) had, its all in the cam and compression installed at factory depending on application- Ie year and model it was going into, do you have any swap Q's ?

3. 79CK454

Yeah exactly what I was looking for. So smaller cam in this 283 yield better low end torc crawling/pulling? Also what would be the best carb (CFM's) ? To produce. Thanks

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you have any idea what cam is in it ? well the 283 themselves are a higher rpm engine by nature, but still is difference in applications/cams/compression, just like with any other size engines, many different ones of each size depending on application, what all do you know about whats in this engine ? what rpm and app it was built for ?
    whats stamping suffix on front stamp pad ? something like a 283 would technically be more suited being in something that will kick up rpm, Ie if you offroad alot, or race, etc, but it still depends on the cam, Ie turbo fire or hi torque, as GM installed these hi torque 283 in the trucks through 67 tooo and they hauled low rpm loads, so,

personally if it wer emy truck and i was gonna put in the mouse then id go with an rv/towing cam and stock everything else cept the springs, well stock too but for an app such as 69 z28, etc, but they probably are already new on the mouse you have it sounds like
    and maybe clean up intake and exhaust runners/ports with a bit real quick

and id run a stock Q jet from a 305 or 350 with electric choke

if it were mine anyways

good luck

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You might not like it....

The 283 is one of chevy's best motors--but its short stroke doesn't allow it to make a lot of torque,even if its hopped up--I have a 307 in my van,the closest cousin to a 283(same stroke,larger bore) and its a gutless wonder--with 2.73 rear axle ratio,it stays in first up to 55 mph,and its not very fast either--the 250 six I removed went better!!--a stock 283 with a 2 bbl carb is rated at 195 hp,and about 280 ft lbs of torque,it will do the job ok,but you wont set any speed records--most of those old GM trucks had really low axle ratio's,like 4.56 or even lower,so the small stroke motors would be revving higher in their power band..

I think after having a 454,anything less is likely to dissapoint you--not trying to discourage you,but even a 305 has more torque,it has a longer stroke--and a 2 bbl is plenty for a small V8 like a 283--I had a 4bbl edelbrock on my 307,and I later changed it back to a 2 bbl holley economaster carb,it gets better gas mileage and is actually a little more peppy with the 2 bbl--but it might have been different with a Q-jet carb,the small primary's are probably more suited to a 283....

So,if you have a 4.56 rear end ,it will be happy,but if you have 3.08's or "highway gears" you probably wont be satisfied with a 283--they are a good engine,but stump pullers they are not,even when built up--they are more suited to hi-revving low torque applications,like an old nova with low gears..:crazy:

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't. Even a mildly hopped up 283 would have a hard time matching the power of a good running 350. It will have no where near the torque your 454 makes. I would bet fuel mileage could be fairly better with it though....

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'd only use a 283 in a truck that was originally equipped with one for nostalgic reasons. You'd be better off with a 305 IMO. It has decent low end torque.

You could possibly pickup up a fuel injected 305 out of a Camaro.

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

If you are looking for mpg only the 283 but if not then a 350 or 454. You can get the same power from a mr goodwrench 350 (or one set up similarly) as a late 70's early 80's 454 for a lot less. And if you will want power definately go with a 350/454 350 would be better on a budget and the 454 if you have more $$to throw at it.

9. 79CK454

Thanks fellas, One more question. If I were to go with the 283 and keep the 2 barrel holley carb...would I have problems with the tranny hook up? I am not exactly sure what it is other than it is a auto (maybe TH350?)

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

you might

If you are talking about the detent cable,you might have to invent a bracket to hook it up right,I had too on my van,but I had to fudge it even with the original rochester 2bbl that came on it,and the 4bbl I tried--thats 3 times I had to re-do the bracket!!--you might be able to use one of those "hot rod" throttle and detent cable brackets from MR.Gasket or something similar,I tried one but it was too cheesy for me,I found it easier to just make them,
    The holley 2 bbl I'm running on the van was actually for a 318 dodge motor,but it bolts right onto the original 2bbl manifold on my 307,and even the choke rod plugs right in like it was made for it!!--I did need to make a sheet metal "gasket" to put under the base to seal a slight vacuum leak where the manifold didnt quite jive with the holley carbs base,but no biggie--a carter 2 bbl from an older 318 will bolt on and work the same too!-
    -I ditched the original rochester 2bbl "2gc" carb because it had an annoying bog that I could not get rid of,despite rebuilding it and new accelerator pump,etc--its sitting on a shelf in the garage now...it makes a good paperweight....:crazy:

Again,I dont mean to discourage you from using the 283,just be aware it wont be quick,pull heavy loads at highway speed,and it might not get the gas mileage your hoping for,if its working hard all the time to haul a heavy full size truck around--if thats all I had for a motor,I'd use it--but its not a 350 or 454 ,so it wont be that powerful,but then,thats all they used for years in the "good old days"...:cool1:

11. 79CK454

I bought a Mr GW 350

Thanks all to responded I will post picks after I get er' done next weekend.:)