Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big gastank options: Does a sub tank work?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AGM73k5, Sep 6, 2001.

1. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I pulled out my 20 gallon gas tank to do the shackle flip and want to replace it with something bigger. I know jc whitney and aerotank both make bolt in 40 gallon replacements but I am hoping I can find a cheaper option. Does anyone know if a large suburban gas tank will fit? Is the largest suburban tank a 43 gallon? The distance the tank hangs down isn't going to be an issue for this project I just want it to fit between the frame rails and not hit the driveshaft/t-case :)
    Any other suggestions/comments are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've been told that a 'burb tank will bolt right in - but I'm not sure of how big they came[​IMG]

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The one in my burb is 40 gal.
    BTW it is an 81.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The Burb and K5 use the same 22 and 31 gallon tanks. The 40 gallon is unique to the Burb. It's longer and would not clear the diff.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

5. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Please pardon my ignorance, I thought the "diff" reffered to a part of the vehicle between the tires attached to the axle tubes. Is there another diff?
    :)
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __

6. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

no, your right about the diff. the gas tank sits over the the rear axle.

<font color=red> and everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people</font color=red>

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you may go with a 31 gal tank from a 73-86 blazer dimensions are 28x28x12 or close to it. the burb, 42 gal tank is a bit longer i think it's like 37x28x12. you could fit it if you don't mind it hanging out the back.

I replaced my 21 gal tank in my 72, i had to remove the hitch and the rear crossmember. i had to make new suports for it too. Tell ya it's not fun specially when it's 110 outside.

oh yea, use at least 1/4 inch steel.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Go with grim. After an hour of trying to fish the filler tube off a stubborn Suburban tank and putting on mine I found they're the same.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

9. Grim-Reaper

Yes your right. The tank bolts to the frame behind the rear axle. The burb 40 tank is longer front to back. The burb has a lot more overhang on the back so it has the room. If you don't want it to hang past the back bumper then it has to go foward into the space where when you hit a bump the diff would need to ocupy. The tank is not deeper it's longer.
    That clear the mud?
    40 gallon burb tank will not fit a K5. The 31 gallon is a shared tank between the Burb and K5.

<a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

10. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I'm not trying to be an ass I just want to make sure I understand this :) What your saying is that as is the tank would hang out the back end of the truck. However when moved forward It gets moved into an area where there is potential contact with the diff when the diff rises up for example when going over a speed bump. Is that right?
    I'm not trying to pull your chain :) I just really want to make sure I get this straight before I spend the money on an aftermarket tank.
    Thanks,
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __

11. Grim-Reaper

You got it. One of the other post has the dimensions of the tanks. 28 inches long (as measured form behind the bumper foward) is all that fits. There is about 4-6 inches of clerence between the tank and the rear diff. The 40 was listed 37 inches long. The Diff would hit it for sure.
    I Hear Aero tanks builds a bigger tank that will fit the K5. It hangs down more but I think I heard you can order it with an intergal skid plate. You could also do a body lift and move the tank up to regain some clearence.
    Fact of the matter is for 10 gallons of fuel, over the 31 gallon, is it worth all the hassle of fabricating mounts and buying a several hundred dollar custom tank when two 5 gallon Jerry cans mounted to a spare tire rack is is only going to set you back about $50. You could ditch the 20 gallon and get the 30 gallon pretty cheap, be a dirrect bolt in and be able to haul the same fuel and still save a lot of dough left over.
    Both my 5's have 31 gallon tanks and I have never come close to running out of fuel on a long trail ride over a weekend. Heck I fill just before getting to Tellico, run all weekend and can usualy make it the 2 hours back home without refilling. Heck my spare Jerry can has never been used on my truck. It's filled about half the jeeps in my club, My lawn tractor but never my truck. IO don't even bother with it unless I'm going to be out more than 2 days. 31 gallons of fuel will go a LONG way.

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

12. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I understand it now :) BTW You're right about the gas cans, I don't know why I didn't think of that to begin with. I guess got stuck in a "bigger is better" mindset. One last question, mostly just dreaming, then I'll leave the issue alone :) I'd measure this out myself but my k5 no longer has the gas tank and I don't want to stick it back in just to measure a few things... With enough lift, would the 40 gallon tank fit? I'm not talking about 8" springs but more like 16" or 17" inches of lift.
    Thanks,
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __