Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big(ger tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by john (Holland), Oct 30, 2001.

1. john (Holland)

john (Holland) Newbie

Question (second attempt) I bougt a Chevrolet Blazer k5(1991) wich has been lifted 4". It has steel 15" wheels with 35"baja belted tires. These tires make a lot of noise.
    Can you inform me about a tire 35" that's good (low noise-level) for the road. I live in Holland and off-road...well not much oppertunities. Thanks...

Big Chevy fan from the Looow-lands.

I

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

What about the BFG AT's in a 35x12.50? These tires ride smooth and have very very little if any noise. And since you don't offroad much they should be great. Or do you want an aggresive looking tire that rides decent and has less noise than the mickey's?

89 K5 Silverado, 4", 33's, 3/4 ton axles
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would expect Holland to have alot of mud, being a low land area. The BFG Mud Terrains don't make that much noise. The BFG All Terrains don't do very well in the mud, so The mud terrains might be a better choice.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

wrangler mt/r make little noise, their not quiet, but make little noise.

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

5. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

you can buy 3 BFG for the price of one mtr and the bfg has a better side wall just go with the new bfg MUD KO

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They're called Mud Terrain KM.

I think a change to ANY radial tire will help you out. Bias ply tires are just plain noisy. My BFG Mud Terrains don't even make enough noise to be heard unless you've got the windows open.

I'd say just look for a Radial tire. If you're going to venture into mud, get a mud tread. For pavement pounding duty, go with all terrains, they work great.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

what r u smokin cooper, but no offense 1 35in bfg costs round 140, then 1 mt/r costs 178 [i got em]
    so therefore 3 bfg dont equal 1 mtr

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Not true on the side wall either. The sidewalls on the MTRs are far superior than the BFG MTs. Even on the new ones. First of all the MTRs have sidewall tread which helps pit alot, and I proved their toughness when I rolled the Jimmy 6 times and the only thing that happened was two popped of the bead, and a few scratches on the sidewall. The two beaded right back up, which was suprising because the front tire got wrapped around the front axle.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Also as for noise, the MTRs are hands down alot quiter than the MTs. I have MTs on the burb because it came with them and I hate them. They sound like swampers, but sure dont perform like swampers. I am getting ready to put the MTRs on the burb. Time for swampers on the Jimmy.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

10. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

i would definitely go with 57" tractor tires. They are very quiet because if you go over 35 they start to bobble and get very violent. Same reason monster trucks are indoors with little room, they cant go over 35mph for very long. But seriously the BFG Mud Terrain is a very quiet tire. My friend has a set and they are a very good riding tire

1986 GMC Jimmy 9" lift 38" swampers 14bolt

11. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Are we talking about the same tire Im talking about the new mt/r radial same tread as the hummer these are quite pricey as for old style mt/r are they still available?as for sidewall the BFG are heaveir sidewalled just like the new MT/r but the MT/r is not as strong proven by tears ive seen also the new Km series have side lugs also and are backed by a better warrenty.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11