Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big "headerache"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, May 4, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Why is it headers are so much of a pita to do anything with? I mean to change the spark plugs ya gotta take them off... also don't come out right to use just straight pipe you need to make an s curve to go over the transmission crossmember... I am seriously thinking about going back to reg exhaust manifolds and using a factory style y-pipe and do the exhaust myself that way. A lot easier to change plus and all... and the y-pipe does go nicely over the xmember. ;) :waytogo: just in case any one is wondering my 82's exhaust is all apart now and will be for a while since headers are such a pita :haha:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My headers are nice and easy. I've pulled the heads once already, pulled/installed the plugs a few times, and made my own exhaust tubing to mate up to the stock duals that were in place.

Bought the "turn downs" at Napa for maybe $5 each, welded two together, got me the S to clear the crossmember and mate to the existing exhaust.

Personally I think my experience was better than most, I'm happy with the Hedman's I've got, I expected much more difficulty.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I'm with ya on that one.... Hate headers with a passion....... Never had any leak(well I think I am getting one now), but they like to rust out quickly up here... I'd rather have manifolds and loose some power.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Headers will outlast most old trucks here in the PNW. I can't use a spark plug socket with them, but the plugs are a piece of cake with a wrench. Didn't have a single problem with fit or leaks. Cheapo dynomax's too.

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Find some spark plug boots off a newer GM vehicle, they help a lot with plug installation, removal almost just at easy. Just slide the boot over the plug and you got yourself a custom spark plug tool ;)

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well mine are maybe summit ones. :dunno: been a while that I have had them. and they are a pain to remove/replace plugs. I have to take header off to do so. :( also I could try the turn down trick... I do have a walmart wire welder :D :waytogo: but still is the annoyance factor of having to use short plugs and have to remove header to change them :( as A temp fix since I have some parts already I think I will just replace gaskets on headers and see about the turn down trick/use the old s curves and do some welding somehow. Just so it can be driven again. but overall I tyhink I like the simple stock exhayst setup w/ manifolds and y pipe and a single turbo. my 2wd shorty has that and no it's not loud and yes headers would free just a couple more power pints... but I would be a lot happier w/o the headers imho

7. dyeager535

[​IMG]

The stock duals on the truck sit up high as you can see, so I only had to come up from the collector, instead of up and back down.

Thats actually three additional pieces...two of the turndowns, plus a flared adapter to join the home made section to the stock pipes.

Around here exhaust shops won't touch anything not "stock", so I didn't have much choice except to come up with my own.

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tried steel flex once and it worked great but only lasted about six months before rusting bad enough to blow out! This time I'm trying 304 Stainless flex made for saltwater exhaust marine engine use. Working good so far............we'll see how long it lasts!
    [​IMG]

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Man have I got a shop for you...
    I gave all my measurements and bends to a guy in lakewood and got a SINGLE piece to go from collector all the way back to the muffler. He used THICK walled 2.25, and charged me $10 for one side, and 15$ for the other. :grin: No questions asked.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

very cool thanks for pic! :waytogo: I may try that. was that on a 4x4 truck? mine are all 2wd nowadays. :D But still I have to remove a header to change plugs... I do not know if there are "better" full length headers that let you change plugs easily w/o taking the headers off... :dunno:

11. dyeager535

Yes, 4wd. Crossmember is out in that pic, so it's a clear shot of the exhaust.