Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Big Hub" Axles? I need axles BAD!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluecollarjock, Dec 15, 2006.

1. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 K5 lifted 8" with 36 Baja Claws. Just bought it a month ago and its been sitting in the driveway. Not really driveable because its leaking oil and Im recovering from medical probs and cant work on it or afford to get it fixed. In the meantime been searching for axles with better gears to swap in, it has 3.08 and is a DOG. Its hard to find axles locally for a good price, I keep searching here but not having luck finding deals I can afford or jumping on them quick enough.

Back near my parents in Pittsburgh found an old timer with a 82 3/4 Suburban. He says its a 14sf rear with 4.10 and an Eaton locker, does that sound correct? He swapped in a front end from a 74-75 pick up he said that has "Big Hubs", "really big hubs that stick out and have 2 pieces to them compared to stock hubs"....what the heck does that mean? Is it a good thing or bad thing?

The Suburban is Diesel and has 150k miles on it. Selling the entire rust bucket for $800. Would it be worth buying for the axles, and would axles with 150k miles on them still be reliable, no idea how many miles on the front axle since it was swapped in from an older truck.

Thanks!

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the "big hub" axle is an external hub d44 used up till around 75 or so-ish. $800 for a set of 3/4 tons isn't very good unless you get other good parts with the rest of the rig.

3. bluecollarjock

thanks brother, appreciate it. Its a rust bucket....probably not worth it then. It does have a diesel engine my friend may want though

what is a good price for a set of used 3/4 tons in your area? the prices people are selling for seem to vary greatly here

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I usually score them for next to nothing. Maybe junkyard would expect to pay a bill an axle maybe. If your buying and not scoring for free make sure to get a 14Full Floater rear. Also poke around for 60 fronts to, sometimes people dont know what they have.

5. bluecollarjock

Thanks, Ill keep looking. Sadly around DC the word is junkyards want $500 even for a 10 bolt...this is city area and not 4x4 friendly as far as I can find...Jeeps are the big thing, not many full size rigs running around...when I go back to Ohio and PA where I grew up, I drool at all the awesome old lifted American trucks and cheap prices...

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

we'll find something. no worries;)

the one good thing bout the bug hub external d44's is that they have flat top knuckles which are what you need for cross-over steering.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006