Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big hub Little hub.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jun 30, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, I have several pieces and parts in the garage. I have a D44 4.10 with flat tops and 8lug big hubs (with the big warn lockouts), also have 8lug little hubs (warn lockouts), I need to swap onto my little hub 6lug with MM lockouts. Eitherway I'll have Warn lockouts, but is there a difference between the big hub and little hub bearings, lockouts, which is stonger, do both use the same stub shafts? Any benifit to using one or the other? they (including the flatops) will be going onto a 10bolt housing with 5.13's... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

to make things easier, call the little hubs INTERNAL and the large hubs EXTERNAL.

the external warn hubs arent worth much. although they are slightly better then the external OEM spicers that were known for weak plasitic caps

the inner bearings are different between an External and Internal 8 lug wheel bearing hub. the outer bearings are the same.

i am not sure if the Internal 6 lug and Internal 8 lug are the same bearings.

also watch out, you may have 2 different styles of spindles also. keep the spindles with the wheel bearing hubs they came with.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

To add a little. The external hub spindles have a larger inner *shoulder* for the bearing to ride on. They will not work with internal set ups (such as 6 lug). All of the internal hubs I have seen are interchangeable between 8 and 6 lug. The stubs are the same in both. The 8 lug axle complete is a little wider from WMS to WMS (thicker rotor).

hope that helps