Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"BIG IRON" ride

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigdaddy89, Sep 12, 2000.

1. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

\"BIG IRON\" ride

Take a look at this site below. It has some pictures of this rock buggy built here in AZ. Well I managed to get a ride in this bad moth&%$$ well you know. This thing can really articulate. We drove up on a car with the left side all the way up on the roof. The shocks are hydralic, so you can fill them up to tip to one side or the other to compinsate chassis role. All I can say is UNBELIEVABLE. Forget rancho the rancho 9012's, I want these hydralic bad boys. Copy and paste.

http://www.alloffroad.com/

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

3. bigdaddy89

Re: \"BIG IRON\" ride

Thanks Mike.

4. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

It IS a pretty cool rig. He was having a pretty tough time in Farmington. It's a really complicated rig and I think that fact was the major contributing factor. I didn't see much of it on the second day, but I did see him roll it over backwards on obstacle A5 while taking a bad line and fiddling with the hydraulics. Then he granaded a U-joint on A7. Like I said, REALLY cool rig, but we just prefer to keep it simple when it comes rock crawling... Of course, that didn't keep us from folding the rear leafpacks on B7. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

5. bigdaddy89

Bigburban,

He was telling me they were having trouble with the axles walking on them. They are going to put small winches under the body to limit the amount of travel on the axles. They are still gitting out the bugs at this point. Once they do, I think it will be a hell of a performer. They owner of the rig hasn't quite got the controls down yet, but the builder sure knows how to make all those switches work well. Do you know who ended up winning?

6. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

John Gilian won the event. The awards banquet was soooooooo freakin' long that I wasn't quite paying full attention to a lot of the other positions. They gave recognition to everyone in the 10th to 1st standings for the Farmington event and had each one of them come up and say something. After which they did the same thing for the overall winners which Chris Duram and "Moooooose" took. Did I mention the banquet started at 8:30 pm? [​IMG] Was the builder Dave's spotter for the event? It just didn't seem like Dave was listening to his spotter who seemed to have a grip on things. It's GOT to take some REAL seat time to get to know that rig... So I can completely understand. From looking at next year's rule book, it looks like he'll have some remodeling to do since 44's and individual wheel actuation (don't know how the winch thing will fit in here) are going away. There's no doubt it'll be an awsome performer once they get the bugs worked out and the driver get's to know the rig better! [​IMG] Have fun sticking those shock assemblies in your rig! [​IMG] I was told that each assemly weighed in the 100lb area to boot!!! Yeeeeeesh!

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

7. bigdaddy89

Bigburban,

His spotter is the builder of the rig. He's one that knows really how to drive it. He spends more time messing around on it then Dave the owner does. I would love to use some sort of hydralic shock, but I don't think it would be worth the time or money. I plan on doing the shackle flip and using the Teraflex revovler shackles when they are ready in November. I think this set-up will perform well on road and off without many modifications.