Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big leaf spring shimming... What is the biggest you've seen or run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 23, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well what is the biggest shim you have seen for sale or actually used? Think I am going to have to get some Zerorates made and angled... The S10 has quite a bit of angle on the old leaf springs. I haven't put a guage on it yet but I'm expecting 10* or more...

Problem is this is just what I had to build. Didn't want to drop the front brackets anymore and hurt approach angle, and have to put the shackles where I have to put the shackles.

2. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi for now I am using 10deg shims on the back of my blazer. The problem I have found is that you have to use longer spring locating bolts since the head of the stock ones dont go all the way through the shim.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I use a 6* to flatten out the axle angle. If you are trying to angle one more than that upwards I think you will run into lubrication issues. Just reweld the perches.

4. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

OH yea, I used the 10 deg shim to flaten out my axle after the shackle flip.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm sorry guys, this is my FRONT axle. And it is mostly for Caster correction but of course also to flatten out pinion angle.

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Earlier today I put in my 7 degree shims for the front end on the jimmy. It has 6 inch tuff country springs up front. I measured the angle and got 11 degrees so the 7 degree put me at 4 degrees like some other posts here said 4 to 6 degrees was good. Do a search quite a bit of info.

I got my shims from JKW OffRoad. Good people, quick responses, good quality.

Check www.jkwoffroad.com

Something I didn't expect was it put my homemade hy steer tie rod into the springs so I have to shim that up so it doesnt hit the springs :(

7. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

Imhaving JKW make me some zero rates for the front with a 14 degree taper. Will get my pinion angle better and will also move my axle froward 1.5". These are for my 85 s10 blazer SFA with d60 and stock 56" springs.

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Buddy has 12* in the front, he doesnt drive it on the street so who knows how his caster acts, but its fine on the trail.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Castor specs for our rigs is somewhere around 6*+, a little less won't hurt I'd say. I never have figured out why the stock spec is so much(when a lot of cars, even performance ones, are less then that). Thanks guys.