Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big or small block

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, May 18, 2000.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

witch is the best for playing in the mud. Right now I have a 350 but I want more power.

Go prepared, To go every where

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I would have too say get a big block and rebuild it.No substitute for displacement unless you can afford boost.The swaps are not very hard.I'm personally going too put a bb in mine.If you need more power after that use some nitrous.Used properly it's a nice power enhancer.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

We went through this once before, and I think the general concensus among the boys was that if you can afford a big block, GO FOR IT! Keep in mind that BB parts, like heads, are more expensive, besides the fact that you're going to be spending more on gas. There is also the cooling issue that you may have to contend with. And depending on your front suspension, you may have to upgrade some components to handle the extra weight.

4. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

I agree. I have an 84 with a 77' 454 and a 94' muncie getrag 5 spd(I think it's a 1-ton replacement) I'm part of a family owned construction company, and the heaviest thing I haul is a Kubota tractor. I probably won't ever need that much motor, but I always wanted one and had the opportunity. So, my opinion, decide what you want & do it.

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

5. J.R.

J.R. Guest

go with the big block,blazers are kind of heavy and the bigblock will move your k5 with less effort.if you can swing it,get the gm 502,once you fell the power you wont want anything else.

BIGBLOCK MAN

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Big Bock for sure. I am swapping my perfectly good 98' 350 with 17,000 miles on it for a new big block that will be done her in a few weeks. Now if I can just keep my engine builder from going over budget every time id be set. I will be selling my 350 soon

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com