Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big "phat" oil filter!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by greg83k5, Feb 4, 2002.

1. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

big \"phat\" oil filter!

for those of you with the smallblock....

NAPA sells filter #1714, a big ol' almost 2 quart oil filter! increase your oil capacity by a quart! there's also the fact that there's almost double the filter media in this baby, so the oil flows thru without as much resistance..... all for twelve bucks... ( hey, kinda spendy, but nothing's too good for my new baby!!)

there's the issue that this bad boy hangs down there with the bottom of the oil pan and thus may be in the line of fire of an errant rock, stick, fencepost, burned-out la-z-boy frame, dresser, ( insert thing you ran over that someone dumped out on that trail by the bayou ' just 'cause you can..')* etc....

now you too can use the oil filter the state of texas uses on its service vehicle fleet!!

for naughty, full-frontal ( well, actually not, its on the side) pictures of my new smallblock on a stand with this proud honking filter installed, just email me at bbingham@ev1.net.... you won't be sorry!!!

* i flattened all sorts of junk the a$$holes dumped off by the bayou by my house, with nary a scratch to the big beast, my tacoma's plastic front bumper wouldn't agree... but then again it doesen't weigh 6000 pounds, need a dana 60, and can fit through the tight trails!!

( yes, i'm bored. )

greg

* keep the greasy side down *

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: big \"phat\" oil filter!

Already lost my reply to this once, so I'll keep this one short.
    Apparently, Napa Silver and Gold filters are the same.
    For $12, you can buy at least 4 of the smaller filters. If it was only a bit more than the 1 quart filter, I would probably buy it, but since it is only available in the "gold" series, and is that much more expensive, I couldn't justify it.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. jaybird

jaybird Registered Member

Re: big

While its true the 1714 does hold almost 2 Qts of oil the downsied is it has no antidrainback valve. I work for NAPA as a Store Manager in my opinion use the late model (88 on) filter for the added protection on startup.

Jay VT
    79 Jimmy 454, 700R4, NP208, D44, 14 bolt, 4.56:1, 38's

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

NAPA silver and gold filters are NOT the same!!! They're not even made by the same company!!!

Gold = Wix
    Silver = Purolator I think

I use only the Gold filters on my engine.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

what exactly does an antidrainback valve do?

obviously, oil doesen't get to 'drain back', but from where???

greg

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

This is a great link for those who want to compare filters:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/>Oil Filter Study</a>

There's a lot of info to read, but I doubt you'll ever use a Fram again after checking it out.[​IMG]

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

7. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i don't even need to look at that link and tell you i'll never use a fram.
    took an old filter off my race engine,,put on the replacement fram filter,,for a sbc 400.
    started the truck after the oil change,,before i had almost 50 psi,,after,,i was lucky to have 10 !!!!
    imagine my suprise when i watched the gauge go nowhere.so we pulled it off,,put the old style filter back on next day once i got it,,and magine that,,went right back up to where it was before. never again !
    there were more expensive parts in that motor than i ever had in my life and if i would have not known and run it that way,,it would have disintigrated on the first run afterwards and i'd have a $15,000 paper weight ! [​IMG]

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Every filter manufacturer makes the big filter.
    I have been running them for 10 years.
    a local dealer has a display panel with filters cut in half and a description of each
    Fram scores worst in every catagory.
    outer case thickness is an important one for you guys with 50psi pressure hot or w disabled bypass

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

9. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

why, i had no idea about any of this info until i trolled through the sleazy, seedy underword of oil filters, where everyone seems to manufacture someone else's, and nothing is how it seems......

that being said, which manufacturer has the best oversize filter???

one of the sites had a link to a letter sent in from an allied signal engineer, ( the shadowy corporation behind the FRAM dynasty ) but the meta/hyper/whatever link didn't work... anyone got the good link...???

greg

10. dyeager535

Where are you getting that information? I'm not saying you are wrong, I have never disassembled these filters, but the information I get from www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Read the other link to an oil filter test above.

If they've changed it recently, I am sorry for the misinformation. The last time I was at NAPA, I bought about a 1/2 dozen Gold filters so that's what I use. I haven't been in since. When I was there, you could look at them and tell the difference.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. dyeager535

Ah yes. Use the eyes. Thanks : )

Same study, my copy is a bit newer than that. Still kind of odd, but sounds to me after reading both of the small blurbs, that the Silver has changed, and is now Wix. I guess *I* could test them, but that would cost me money...I'd rather use the filters on my next oil change : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

m j, got a pn for an AC Delco one? Just curious, I doubt it would fit with my headers. I wanted to hook up the oil cooler in the diesel radiator (turns out the fittings are the same as the later model gas ones, I have an adapter off an '89 Sub), but the added height of the adapter would cause header to filter clearance. I just run the PF 35; change the oil once a year before Moab, whether it needs it or not. [​IMG]

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

14. jaybird

jaybird Registered Member

Yes the NAPA silver and gold filters are both Wix (they are made by the Guard Corp, a division of Dana). The anti drainback valve was designed to limit the "rattle" that small and big block Chevy have been known for. The valve keeps the oil in the pan from siphoning the oil out of the filter, so no more waiting for the filter to fill up on startup. The 2 Qt filter has been used for years on medium duty gas trucks. For those of you who have header clearance problems you can also choose a shorter (3/4 qt) version sold asd part # 1069. These will work on all small and big blocks except the ones with the factory oil cooler, they require a 1/2 qt filter # 1036.

Jay VT
    79 Jimmy 454, 700R4, NP208, D44, 14 bolt, 4.56:1, 38's