Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big problem, need help <--working on it ;)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, May 24, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok guys I just finished installing my front driveshaft (yippie, finally 4 wheel drive!) and then I washed the truck followed by pulling it back into the driveway to check under the hood and finish up installing my new blower motor. When I pulled the oil dipstick it came out and I wiped it off and started to stick it back in when I realized that it looked a little short. Low and behold the stick broke off (I'm guessing about 2.5-3" or so). I started to pull the dipstick tube out of the block and go "fishing" but then I thought that before I do something that could cause more damage I should ask first.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had this happen to them so please post up!

-Avery

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you're going to be pulling the pan. I highly doubt you will ever get a broken piece of the stick out through the dipstick hole.

3. Avery4jc

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I need to do it anyways to replace the seal but I just didn't want to have to do it now.
    By the way since it will sink will it cause damage if the engine is run with the little piece down in there? I'm assuming that there's a magnet in the bottom of the pan that the piece would float to. I know it can't make it to the top of the engine because theres a screen on the oil pump but since the rods just "splash" in the bottom of the block would it cause damage there? Basically, can I run it to get it out of the driveway?

Thank goodness for you guys.

-Avery

4. 4X4HIGH

There is no magnet in the pan unless someone put one there. I would avoid driving it for any distance until you've removed the broken piece since it could get whipped around and the crank and rods could chew it up and make your life miserable. It won't hurt to start it to move the truck around so you can fix it.

5. Avery4jc

Ok, so basically I need to drain the oil out of the pan, remove the pan itself, inspect it to find the broken piece, replace the gasket put the pan back on and fill er' back up.
    Sounds ok?

Thanks 4X4High

-Avery

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is kind of unsuall for a dip stick to break off. Most dip sticks are made of a metal with a pretty high tensal strength, and will bend before they break, at least GM factory ones are that way. If it where 6" to 7", which had broke off, I would say you might be able to remove the dip stick tube from the block and retreive the remains of the dip stick, but with only 2" to 3", I agree with 4X4HIGH, you will most likely have to remove the oil pan to get at it.

7. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

maybe you could try to fish it out of the oil drain plug since it's probably on the bottom anyway, depends on how much patience you have. But like you said that you needed to do it (reseal the pan) anyways. you might be able to stick a magnetic drain plug in there and let it idle like the other guys said, but then wait and try to see if you could luck out and pull it with the drain plug when you change the oil. Just an idea.

8. 4X4HIGH

Do yourself the biggest favor when you do pull the pan, when you go to put it back on get the 1 piece pan gasket, no leaks from then on out from the pan anyways and they are way easier to install when the engine is still in the vehicle.

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Just a thought to try:
    Drain the oil as best you can from the pan then get a strong magnet and stick it to the bottom of the pan at an edge away from the drain hole. Then pull towards the drain. Do this repeatedly for each section and then see if the peice is over the hole or around it. Check around with your finger.

May not work but worth a try. The stronger magnet the better I would assume.

10. Avery4jc

Yeah, that's where the original magnet idea came from. It's worth a shot but at the same time if I have to drain all the oil anyways I might as well replace the gasket and start to remove all of the drips and leaks that I have. It'll be nice to cross one off the list. Next will be the TC. I'm not sure though. I guess I'll just go for it, it's not hard I just didn't want to have to do it right now.

-Avery

11. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What has been said before pull the pan if it broke once who knows if there may be 2 peices down in there. Get the one peice seal. Also get some cleaner and epoxy and magnets (if you have the time) and put a magnet in the bottom of the pan. I haven't seen many stock pans that had one

12. Avery4jc

I just looked at it and it broke off between the "U" and the "S" on "only use...blah blah motor oil" you guys probably know where I'm taking about. If someone has the time could you pull out your stick and see about how much broke off, like I said it's right between the u and the s on use.

Thanks

-Avery

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I seen a broken dip stick like yours about 15 years ago. Pulled the pan and there it was. Of course it was a car and to pull the pan we had to pull the engine...

Your pan is easy to pull in the vehicle. have plenty of rags. Its also a good time to change the rear main seal if it needs it. As mentioned, use the Felpro one-piece oil pan gasket. It comes with plastic retainers to hold the gasket against the block while you install the pan. Its a very nice gasket. Its the only one I will use.

14. Avery4jc

Thanks.

-Avery

15. Avery4jc

Hey guys, I'm going in a minute to pick up a felpro one piece gasket for the pan. I've heard mixed reviews about the one vs. two piece rear main seals. One is much easier to install, is it the two piece? Also do you think that I should worry about it or for now just replace the pan gasket and call it quits and just know to keep an eye on the fluids and top off/replace as necessary?

-Avery

16. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

one peice rears are on 85 and up ONLY, 2 piece on 84 and older

17. Avery4jc

Ok, I have an '85 so I'll pick up a one piece if I do it.
    I just got home from the parts store and I was shocked that they had the one piece felpro oil pan gasket in stock. You guys were right about the clips, it sure looks like it'll be easier with them compared to holding it and tightening.

A question that I had was in regards to time span without oil, there's not really a time span that I have to be within when draining the oil before putting fresh in is there? I wouldn't think so but then again you never know.

-Avery

18. 4X4HIGH

1 piece rear mains started in 1986 NOT 1985.

No time span for adding oil, just make sure that no dirt gets whipped up into the engine.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  19. Avery4jc

That's a bummer, that means that I have a two piece which means that I have a lot of work ahead of me. I think I'm going to replace my pan gasket since it's probably never been done and see if that helps.
    I wouldn't normally even worry about this becasue I don't really even leak enough oil to have it hit the ground, only enough to have residue on the pan.
    I think my time would be better spent fixing the tc leak (which is very prominent) after I finish installing this gasket.

Now here's the stupid question of the day, my oil was changed about 200 miles ago, you know where this is going...can I drain it and then re-use it after I fish out the dipstick chunk and replace the gasket?

-Avery

20. 4X4HIGH

Yes, just make sure you use a CLEAN catch pan for the oil.

Where is your T-case leaking from?