Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BIG PROBLEM!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big Red, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

hey all. i really need help on this one. I think i chipped sum teeth off my spider gears in teh back. thing pops a few times as i get goin. its only under load though, like on qa hill or if i give it a wee bit more gas. If anyone has any ideas as to what it may be, please! tell me! and if anyone lives in connecticut with a spare Corp 10bolt diff, PM me, i just might buy it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pull the cover and have a look...if it looks like it ate a grenade take some good clear pic's and share the carnage./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

3. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

have you checked your U-joints?, they'll pop under pressure when they start to go out!

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Hey, I hate to add to a perfectly good post, but um... I have the same problem. I think /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif when I give the skinny pedal a perdy good squash down something likes to go "pop pop pop" and the truck kinda jumps a little.. Um, maybe u-joints, I uh, haven't been able to tell if they're bad just from playing with my shaft /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif (Drive shaft guys... DRIVE SHAFT!!!)

5. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

just sent you a pm

6. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

lol, i think we all knew what u were talkin bout trucknutzdude. but ur name does imply suttin when u say such a thing. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i haven't gotten a chance to check the u-joints (it just started yesterday when i got home @ 10pm) i will check them today.

7. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

SENT YOU ANOTHER PM LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, pull the cover off and take a look. Chances are the spiders are missing teeth or one is broken in half. The banging and jerking is probably chunks going through the ring and pinion. I drove around 100 miles on FWD because I blew my spider gears. The first one went about 300 miles earlier and gave me a loud "bang" and it felt like I ran over a small animal.

Because I kept driving on it I ended up ruining the carrier and monkeying up one tooth on the pinion gear. If you stop driving it now you might get lucky enough to be able to just go junkyarding for $20 worth of spider and side gears.

Maybe you'll find something neat like this when you pull the cover:
    [​IMG]