Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BIG problems after lift!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5blazer, Apr 5, 2001.

1. K5blazer

K5blazer Registered Member

Just installed a tuff country 3" suspension lift. Now when I turn at low speeds I here a grinding noise and when I accelerate from a stop there is a loud banging noise comeing from transefer case area. Went with the three instead of four cause the sales clerk said I wouldn't have any of these problems. Have any of yall had that happen and what exactly was it the t-case, driveshaft or what? Any info. will be helpful. Thanks

2. doonjumper

doonjumper 1/2 ton status

Are you in 4WD?

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If its not your tires grinding against the corner of the fenders, then your driveshaft may not be long enough to allow for the extension for the suspension movements. Check out the shaft for adequate play.

4. K5blazer

K5blazer Registered Member

No I'm not in 4wd and I haven't even put bigger tires on.

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The tire size won't effect the suspension components.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

6. doonjumper

doonjumper 1/2 ton status

Pull out the ol creeper and a good light. Look for any shiny spots aroung drive shafts, cross members, that sort of thing. Also look for crushed fenders maybee your tires are rubbing like he said.

7. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

what yR blazer? Its probably your front drive shaft rubbing your exhaust or your ujoints where bad and now you get to listen to them complain.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Check your front driveshaft at the tcase. Look at the area with the u-joints and see if it is rubbing. Put your tcase in nuetral, Hubs unlocked( jack front off ground if you have auto hubs), and turn your front driveshaft by hand it should turn freely. Let us know if it doesnt.
    On a 6" lift you will have problems with the angle of the front driveshaft and usually need to do some grinding on the CV, but I havent heard of this problem on a 3" lift.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

9. Flyinhi86

Flyinhi86 Registered Member

It may be your driveshaft articultion. You may want to drop your transmission down. There are 1" spacers(stock) on the outside of your tranny mount. Unbolt your tranny and put the spacers between the frame and the tranny mount. This will drop your tranny 1" and then your driveshaft won't have such a severe angle. It should tell you this in your instructions. I had to do this on a 4" lift. Good luck. Let me know if you tried it out.

It may be the transfercase mount, I can't remember which one. Have a look at both and see which one has 1" spacers that seem to have no purpose.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Flyinhi86 on 04/05/01 07:39 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Im gonna bet $10 to a donut that your u-joints need to be replaced.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>