Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BIG problems with the blazer :(

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crash1369, Dec 24, 2005.

1. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

ok, so what would make your engine spit out not one but TWO spark plugs? more importantley what do i have to do to fix it? its an 88 4x4 auto w/ 5.7l tpi. im not sure the chvey fireing order but its the second plug from the front on the drivers side and the last one all the way at the back on the passenger side. Im going to have to pull off the heads right? so i can get the rest of the plug out (it looks like its broken off) am i going to need new heads? i thought it was just the exhaust gaskets last night when it happend and i drove it home, about 35 or 40 miles so what kind of damage do you think i did? i didnt hear any rattleing or anything that would make me think something was in the cylinder. i just got this damn truck too i think its time to go get some money back, should be a fun day at work on tuesday (bought it from the boss' son) thanks in advance for any and all help :waytogo:

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

What part of the plugs broke? Are the threads still ihn the heads?

3. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

yes i beleave the threads are still in.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

If the metal parts of the plugs are still in the heads, just unscrew them. If the plug is out of the heads ans the threads in the heads are ok, try putting new plugs in. Good luck!

Sounds like plugs 3 & 8.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Ouch. What happened? You were driving along and they just literaly spit out,or were you trying to replace them? They can break easily if they are really old, but I've never seen them break unless you were disturbing them in some way, like trying to take the boot off or torqued the wrench the wrong way.

Is the hex part of the plug still in? If not, could be rough going. I've had 'em break, but the hex part stays on and I can still get it off.

Mabey try putting the piston at TDC for that cylinder and run a junk plug in there to try to push it out, then fish it out of there? Ahh...that could be a little risky though. Brutal...hopefull you won't have to pull the heads....

6. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

yeah i was just driveing and all of a sudden i heard a pop like and air hose breaking, and then what seemed like air leaking so i figured it was just a gasket cuz i didnt really feel much difference and the manifolds are pretty rusty then a few minutes later it happend on the other side. so you guys think they could just be so old they broke? i should just be able to put new ones in? hopefully i can get the old ones out

7. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

UPDATE: i just went out and looked again i think i can just change the plugs the hard part will be changeing them. it looks like the hex part of the broken 2 is still there, kinnda. it looks like the bottom part of the hex rusted through and thats why they broke, so i guess if i can get them out it should be fine when i out new ones in, hopefully. any suggestions on getting them out?

8. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

you will need a torch and a easy-out to fit, i have done lots, heat the piece of plug that is left, let it cool, heat it again, then pound the easy-out in, it should screw right out

9. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

do i need to heat it, theres not a llot of room im worried i might damage something but if it has to be done then...

10. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I would recomend heat as it will make it allot easier to remove.
    -Kell-

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

This is bizarre, how can two plugs, even one plug "blow-out"? I've broken the ceramic in the tool and thought, oh-oh. Backed-out the shell and yup, some of the ceramic had broken-off inside. Thought about for a while and realized I had nothing to lose by leaving that plug out and startin her up. I didn't see it, but it must have blown out the plug hole or the Xhaust; engine ran fine after.

12. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

thats what i wanted to hear, as far as heating it what should i use? and how much should i heat it, till it glows?

13. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

OK, Maybe a dumb question here, but how are these things breaking? I've never heard of a plug rusting through, but I'm not up there in the NE side of the US. Is it a salt thing?

14. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Wow! I have never heard of a spark plug rusting till it breaks off. Are these plugs original factory equipment? Is this a normal thing that happens in PA? I mean, c'mon. If your spark plugs are rusting and falling off, you may have a few other things that need to be checked on that vehicle....

15. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

oh your absolutly right there, i de finatly have a few other things to check, this was just a plow truck befor so it was neglected and everything is rusty, so rusty i wouldnt be suprised to find plastic pices rusted :) any suggestions on what i should get to heat it? just a regular propane torch or is there something better? anyway thanks for everybodys help :waytogo: merry christmas :xmas:

16. dave_90_blazer

salt belt and neglect(never changing plugs)

most break when you try to remove them(100,000+ miles and original plugs), but them blowing out is not un heard of

17. dave_90_blazer

hotter the better, i always use oxy/axt, but a MAPP gas torch might be hot enough

the hotter the torch, the less time it takes to heat the plug sleave, and it won't heat soak the head

I recommend getting those 2 out, then replacing all the other plugs one at a time, you might(likely) have more break upon removal

18. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

your absolutly right about neglect, oxy/axt is the big welder kind right? i deffinatley cant get one of them tomarrow but the mapp gas is the little handeld yellow one isnt it? i can get one of them at home depo couldnt i? i was planning on changing the spark plugs too, obviously its only a matter of time befor the rest suffer the same fate as these two.

as far as heat soaking the head any suggestions to prevent this? i need to heat the plugs till they glow or just x amount of time?

19. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

ok so this is more then i wanted to spend but it seems like it'll be usefull. anybody know anything about this welder that will also work as a torch right? but more importantly would it actually be any good to weld anything? also anybody know where i could get it filled?

edit: link dosent work stupid home depot site anyway its model wt5000 if somebody who knows something about these wants to take a look at it, thanks everybody.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  20. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

anybody?!? how long do i heat it, is that welder any good?