Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Question about Heater blower...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigRedBryan, Sep 10, 2000.

1. BigRedBryan

BigRedBryan Newbie

...My Dad, MrBob1, and I have been working on the heater blower on my K5. He posted about this a little while ago and got some good help. Now we have a problem that we just can't figure out.....

We put new blower in and it works fine, except that it didn't have full powwer initially. We took the glove compartment out and there is a small lever back there that controls the direction that the air flows, up or down and with the lever pushed to the left and back the air flow through the dash is awsome but none of the switches (MAX...NORM...DEFROST, etc) will control the lever/switch. How do you take the lower dash off and how do you get to the guts back there to see whats wrong. Also WHAT COULD BE WRONG here???? is there a seperat fuse that might control that???Could the cable from the dash switches be broke and how do we get the panel off to find out??? We would really appreciate any help...

Maybe someone would be willing to give us a "heater blower operation for dummies " lesson here.

Thanks....I'm BigRedBryan....MrBob1's favorite son

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK I might be way wrong here, but here goes. On my 81 Jimmy all the under dash stuff is vacuum controlled. I have had some problems with controlability and every time it has been a vacuum line that has come off of its little port. On mine the little door you were talking about, the bracket was broken. Basically what I did was remove all the ducting from under the dash (I chucked everything except the defrost vents) then I fixed the little bracket, now I have heat, defrost, and off; nice and simple. The A/C was butchered when I bought it so I just finished the job.

Check all the little vacuum lines, make sure you have good vacuum as a source from under the hood, I think there is an accumulator on the firewall that is the vacuum supply for your heater controls.

Hope that helps
    Rene

[​IMG]

3. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

How do you get the dash off???? How do you get to the stuff???

Red Springs, N.C.
    "I ain't responsible for my crappy typin' or spellin'"

[​IMG]

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I don't think removing the dash will help you get there easily. There's a metal plate under the dash that won't let you access all that.

Try removing the plastic pipe in the bottom (the one that blows your feet). Then you should be able to access all those vacuum lines.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

you do not have to take anything apart. When I bought my blazer the blower had low and mid...no high speed. I found that there is a ground wire attached to one of the bolts holding it in under the hood. It was broke. I replaced the connectoe and put it back on the bolt and it works fine.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I removed the instrument bezel and the 2 or 3 screws that hold the heater controls to the dash. You have to kinda wiggle it out, but it is still attached by the cable and all so don't pull it too hard. Once you have it away from the dash a little you can see inside to where the vacuum lines go. On mine the main supply line had come off. I found it easier than trying to stick my fat head under the dash.[​IMG]
    The dash itself comes off pretty easy (if you want or need to remove it) once the bezel is off you will see most of the screws. The top of the dash just has some tangs that slide in. The glove box also comes of pretty easy, just 4 screws along the bottom, this will give you some better access to vents. All in all you could have the bezel, dash and glove box off in about a half an hour, and it goes back together pretty easy too.

Hope that helps some.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

when you reply to a post...do not click on the last post in line to reply to. Go to the first post and reply to it. I get several emails from ck5 from folks answering questions for others. It is set up to email the person when you reply to the post.