Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rooster53, May 8, 2000.

1. Rooster53

Rooster53 Registered Member Premium Member

i just bought a 1988 K-5. the top has never been taken off. if i take the top off will it leak? if it does leak what do i do? what is the best way to store the top and protect the seals on it?
    Thank You,
    The Rooster53

2. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

being 12 years old i would get the seals before i took the top off; just to have when you put top back on. replace them before i put the top back on. they are just like anyother seal they get dried and cracked over time and weather and use.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I took my top off alittle over a year ago on my 88. I had no problems, I just sat the top in the grass. If you are really worried, set it on saw horses supported under the middle but placed at the ends of the top.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i remember the first time i took the top off my rig, beautiful day. didnt want to put it back on.
    the seals were fine, preserved if you will. putting it back on i ran into a snag. i pinched the front seal(on the truck) and tore it in two places. apparently the the holes for the bolts on the fiberglass top stick out a little and caught the rubber. maybe it wont happen to you, but just the same be aware.
    still didnt leak after that.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The top on my '90 was on for 9 years before I took it off. I stored it on a flat concrete floor and no problems with leaks when I put it back on.