Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BIG RIG guys....more opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big94gmc, Jul 17, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

What engines and trannies to you like, and why? I have my favorites (based solely on uneducated preference), but I want to hear what you like to drive, and why.

You may begin. :D

2. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Cat power! The C15 475hp is a good choise.
    Trans either a 15 or 18 spd RoadRanger.

For a older truck 3406B or C 425hp 2100 rpm engine. That gets you the heavy duty valve springs which lets you run higher rpm's against the Jake for more braking power.

4. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

HDT's. These guys know what I'm talking about.

Personally, I prefer Cats first and foremost. Then Cummins. I'm not a big Detroit fan. However, on the used truck market, trucks with Detroits are by far the cheapest. Cats are typically the most expensive. Sucks ass.

AARRRRRRGGH!! :mad:

5. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

500 HP 12.7 Detroit and a 10 speed automatic.

;)

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Cats are usually more expensive to repair as well,,Detroits' parts are so widely and readily available, there is usually a shorter down time if there is a major repair to be done.

I have driven trucks with the 425 Cat, Cummins, and the Detroits, while yes the Cat pulled pretty awsome, the fuel mileage just wasn't that great, the Cummins,,,i just did not like all around, but the Detroits i have personally never had a problem. Some say otherwise.

The detroits that were really nice i thought were the split 435/470hp setup,,wide open road, not much drag on the motor, it would run at 435hp, when ya start climbin hills or needed that power, it would kick it up to 470.

Only driven with a few different types of trans, 9spd, straight and super10's,
    the full auto 10's, and a 13spd,,,i REALLY liked the 13.

8. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Thank you for your contributions....not tell me WHY you say this. :confused:

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Why do I like that combo? I like the 12.7 Detroit engines because I have been driving for 9 years and have mostly drove Detroits and never had any problems with them. The 500 hp Detroit is plenty power for anything I need to do. The 10 speed auto shift transmission is cool to drive because it's one less thing I have to do. I just let the clutch out to get moving and mash the gas, it does all the shifting while I talk on my cell phone, eat, write notes/milage, etc...

My second choice for favorite engine would be the new Mercedes in the Freightliners. It makes 90 percent of it's torque at just 1,000 rpm which means fewer downshifts to pull a grade. The specs on the one I sometimes drive are 450hp @ 1900 rpm, and 1550lb-ft @ 1100 rpm. My second choice transmission would be a Super 10 just because I like the shift pattern.

10. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

Bad azz motor

Hay guys do'nt forget about the old 855 cummings motors with diesel inj of pittsburg. parts you can get 700 plus horse power at the wheels. this setup will live a long time if your not a cowboy . I have 500.000 on mine and its still pulling stong. now take that to heart cat an oil slinger :D

11. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

CAT POWER.....550hp C16

Backed up with Eaton Fuller 18sp.

My 2002 Pete can haul 105,500#'s of sand/gravel,asphalt, you name it up any hill and at speed....:D

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The new Cats are nice, but being limited to 80K gross in Kali we don't need as much power as you do.

13. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

If you are staying local and under 80k gross don't overlook a mack. The only real problem it had was cooling in the desert southwest. I ran my mack for 7 years and 700,000 miles...it ran damm cheap. I now run a '99 western star with an N-14 460 cummins and 15 over tranny. I went with this truck because if it breaks the parts are easy to find and replace (keeping it simple). The detroit has better fuel economy than cat or cummins, but the uptime before a major can be spottier than cat or cummins. Interesting item, an oil change is more expensive for the ISX than a C-15, but the C-15 costs more to buy. The ISX might deliver better fuel economy than the cat..
    George

14. cow killer

cow killer Registered Member

no matter what, i will always love the 6-71 Detroit or the 8V-71. both 2 stroke, and rev like all hell. plus they sound great to me, and CAN get lots of power if done right.

as for trannys, 18 speed or the 10 speed auto. if it is behind a 2 stroke, has to be a stout automatic, to much shifting with how quick they can wind up.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ignore him, he knows nothing about diesels.... or is that me?

16. cow killer

a guy that hauls with my neightbor has this in his 2003 KW W-900 triaxle. that truck loaded can do 125 mph. and they have many wittnesses. not quite sure of his gearing though.

17. cow killer

shut up you. 1 month left till i am gone, off to school!

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Not a "drive" preference, but a rebuild preference...

When I was working on them, I loved getting Fuller Super 10's. Four gears on the mainshaft = fast setup. And as long as you remember which air line goes where, the air system takes about 3 minutes to set-up.

19. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

So the general concensus is that Cat power is the way to go....

But Cats are the more expensive in the used truck market....

:mad:

20. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

But it'll be worth more when you sell it too. Around here Petes and KWs cost more used but hold their value when you're done with it.