Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big rig truck driving

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Apr 8, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive considered and mulled over going and getting a CDL license for a couple years now and even more in the last few months, even went to the DMV and got the book and everything, for some reason i dont believe i could always find my way to destinations that i would be sent to, how do drivers find their way and plan routes, or do they even do that ?

the only other thing that kinda "worries" me is traffic, lane changing and making turns in traffic of cities and suburbs, at alot of intersections with multiple lanes i can see how there can be times when you cant get over far enough in order to swing out to make a turn,

what do you do ?

also what is the best way to go about getting a CDL ? through a company or on your own ? or ?

talk to me

thanks

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Look for a school! Some kinda od Truck driving acadmey.
    Bill

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Thats what i did, i went to a training center for driving them, it was real nice. As far as planning, you have a map, one of those big trucker maps, look at the route you want to take and get close enough to the shipper or receiver, and usually if you drive for a company, they get the directions for you. After driving for awhile, a year or more, you start learning the highways just like you learn the roads around your hometown. It's odd, you can get on the CB radio and ask the best way to get from Cali to New York, and alot of these guys without even looking at a map will tell you certain roads and alot of back roads.

It's a nice job, i have done it off and on for about 4 years, the only problems i have with it are you are NEVER home, sure you can come home, but you don't make any money unless the rig is moving. There is alot of BS going on as far as trucking companies ways, laws, people in cars that don't understand how these trucks need to operate safely.
    But through it all, i am still considering headin back out again, i kinda miss those $800-1100 per week paychecks.

BTW, if you do decide you want to get your CDL, you will need access to some kind of rig to take the driving test in, another reason i think a driving school would be better, you get it all in the same place.

Good luck. hope i helped out any.

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

My father drives a truck OTR....he's never home as mentioned. When he is home he worries cause he not making any money and worries someone else in the company will get his loads. Its a better job for a single guy than someone with a family although there are plenty of OTR drivers with families. So now you are considering body repair, chassis fab or truck driving? Sounds good, all of these trades can be rewarding. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Look for a school! Some kinda od Truck driving acadmey.
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

i live in no where lincoln il we dont have such things

thanks

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My father drives a truck OTR....he's never home as mentioned. When he is home he worries cause he not making any money and worries someone else in the company will get his loads. Its a better job for a single guy than someone with a family although there are plenty of OTR drivers with families. So now you are considering body repair, chassis fab or truck driving? Sounds good, all of these trades can be rewarding. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

im mulling over these three schools, however none of the three exist here, sooooo...

im single never married no kids no anything cept a few personal items and parts to my name and thats all so i would never look back once i can finally get the %@!$#! out of here, i been wanting out of here for years i cant believe how damn hard it is to find a one way ticket out of where you are in this world, it sux0rz !

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats what i did, i went to a training center for driving them, it was real nice. As far as planning, you have a map, one of those big trucker maps, look at the route you want to take and get close enough to the shipper or receiver, and usually if you drive for a company, they get the directions for you. After driving for awhile, a year or more, you start learning the highways just like you learn the roads around your hometown. It's odd, you can get on the CB radio and ask the best way to get from Cali to New York, and alot of these guys without even looking at a map will tell you certain roads and alot of back roads.

It's a nice job, i have done it off and on for about 4 years, the only problems i have with it are you are NEVER home, sure you can come home, but you don't make any money unless the rig is moving. There is alot of BS going on as far as trucking companies ways, laws, people in cars that don't understand how these trucks need to operate safely.

But through it all, i am still considering headin back out again, i kinda miss those $800-1100 per week paychecks.

BTW, if you do decide you want to get your CDL, you will need access to some kind of rig to take the driving test in, another reason i think a driving school would be better, you get it all in the same place.

Good luck. hope i helped out any.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did have access to a rig for a while until a few onths ago a friend my same exact age was driving in immediate region for a while but he has a kid and wife and al that junk so he had to be home every night or two, so... he quit driving after only two years of it and now drives a trash truck route sooo... hmm.

the only thing that really "scares" me about being a truck driver is finding routes and getting to destinations without getting on wrong routes and being late and such, so,.

i have no idea where any driving school is around here, no idea, nearest one to here might possibly remotely be like 45 miles away, if im even that lucky

if anyone knows of a driving school in central IL 309 or 217 area code then im all ears, or another way of getting CDL
    also someone please explain to me the differences between class A, B, and C CDL's, and also lemme know anything else i need to know before beginning the road to getting my CDL and which class of such license i should go for ? if i was to go for this id want to work my way up to HAZMAT endorsement and haul a tanker eventually after some OTR exeperience

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

bj and the bear

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

CDL class A license, with Haz-Mat and Tanker endorsements, thats what you'll need if you want to be a tanker yanker.

Go for the class A CDL, then usually the way it is here anyway, is you take the test for each endorsement and a small charge for each, it's like $10 for each here.

You'll also have to get a DOT physical too for the license.

10. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Check with your local community college. I know they have a program at Parkland in Champaign.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    CDL class A license, with Haz-Mat and Tanker endorsements, thats what you'll need if you want to be a tanker yanker.

Go for the class A CDL, then usually the way it is here anyway, is you take the test for each endorsement and a small charge for each, it's like $10 for each here.

You'll also have to get a DOT physical too for the license.

[/ QUOTE ]

neat, all sounds good to me then,
    just matter of getting the endorsements, hmm.

thanks

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Check with your local community college. I know they have a program at Parkland in Champaign.

[/ QUOTE ]

lincoln's community college doesnt have anything remotely related to this or to automobiles or anything, neither do heartland community or Christian college

thanks

13. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Finding your way really isn't that bad. You almost always stay on interstates. And you get a fuel route which usually shows what cities you go thru to get to your destination. This is usually the shortest route that you can take in a Big Rig. The company usually has directions to where you are delivering and majority of the time they are accurate. I drove for 2 years (6 months team with the wife) for Swift doing Costco Dedicated so I stayed in the Northwest. Still never had any time to do anything. No time to fix anything. Yes you can make good money but trust me 3 or 4 days a month hometime isn't enough to get anything accomplished (Just look at how long it took me to get my Blazer back on the road and I haven't been driving for 7 months). Most entry level trucking schools have some sort of deal so that they will pay for your school if you drive for them for a set amount of time. Swift Trans. is 6 months. Yes I did make 41k last year but that was working 70+ hrs a week, Driving late and getting up early. It wasn't a bad job but I don't miss it. I like being able to get online and being able to actually do something on the weekends. I like my new profession a lot better and when I started driving I said I love to drive this should be a piece of cake :P I will keep my CDL current just as back-up but wouldn't go back. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Randy, its been under your nose all along...

Lincoln Land Community College

Only about 30 miles away too.

[ QUOTE ]
    AUTO BODY REPAIR
    TRUCK DRIVER TRAINING CDL ADVANCED
    TRUCK DRIVER TRAINING CDL BASIC

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling you would qualify for 100% Financial Aid with no income for the last 2 years.

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

As far as a driving school, alot of larger companies will have a training program, they usually will either bus or fly you out to their city, transport you from the airport and put you up in a hotel for the time you are in training. Just need to finger out what company to deal with.

16. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as a driving school, alot of larger companies will have a training program, they usually will either bus or fly you out to their city, transport you from the airport and put you up in a hotel for the time you are in training. Just need to finger out what company to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a good deal too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. kennyw

Hey, if you have a CB just get near the interstate and start asking truckers if they have any ideas on a good company that pays for training /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

None of them really pay for training, you end up paying for it anyway, but what they do is put you through their training program, and when you become a driver, and on the weekly payroll, they take alittle bit out each week. I drove for U.S. Xpress and i believe they have a training program, they are a decent company, if you do the CB thing, you will get some "interesting" ideas from everybody, alot of independant drivers (drivers who own their own truck) don't like schooled drivers. Most of them got into it before all the schooling thing started happening and got licenses through family. Goto a truck stop if you have one around and pick up some of the free brochures they have around on driving opportunities, you can also find stuff on the internet, just do a search for something like truck driving jobs or something, it's n ot hard to find info on.

Let me rephrase that, as mentioned, they will pick up the tab if you stay with them for a certain amount of time, i just couldn't deal with Swift for the time needed and ended up[ owing them anyway.

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

is there an ABC SUPPLY close by?i work for them and they will pay for the whole thing. and you can get your TIP and drive with some one to learn the ropes.if thereis an abc let me know and i'll put a word in for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Here's what i did. I found a local school. took 3 weeks traning, took my road test and went to work for a large company. C.R England. As a newbie, the pay sucked and the time home also sucked. But i sucked it up and did a year with them. Reason being, Most decent companies require at least 1 year experiance or 100,000 miles. At least over here in NY they did. When I was home after 11 month's, with 110,000 miles, I started sending out applications. Now i have a nice cushy LOCAL job!! I work only 5 days a week. monday-friday. I go into work around noon, go pick up a load, drive 3 hrs, unload, drive back. average's 8hrs a day. some days shorter, some longer, but NEVER over 12 hrs. Best part, I am GUARANTEED 850.00 (gross) a week. I only worked 34.5 hours last week. got 850. worked 39 hrs this week. 850!! If my mileage goes over 2,000, I get 41 Cents per mile!!
    It was WELL worth it for me. I made 46,000 last year, and thats with taking all of december off!!

I do miss driving cross sountry, as There is alot Of beautiful land out there. And i miss meeting up with fellow K5 members. I got a chance to meet SEVERAL members while I was out. Even had the wife out with me for a month.

You get used to the traffic. I drive to N.Y.C everyday. To me, It's no big deal. People suck, they cut you off, flip you off, blame you for everything!! Don't get pissed, don't loose control. People just suck!! I've been to all 48. Every state has it's sore spots.