Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big rigs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by POWERMAD, Jul 25, 2004.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Brundage Bone a concrete pumping outfit brought in their new rig for A/C repair.
    137,672 lbs as it sits.
    It can pump concrete 120 feet up and run 3 cement mixers dry.
    6 axle rig, with 3 in the front and 3 in the rear.
    the front 3 are steer axles and the mid one is a drive axle.
    the front rear is just a tag, the rear 2 are drivers and the rear is also a steer axle. Pretty cool rig /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif
    It took up 2 bays. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Which is long enough to fit a 53" trailer and tractor.
    Nearly a 6 million doller rig that makes $1000 an hr. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    If I ever win the lottery that's what I am going to buy,
    or one like it.
    I figure if it's paid for and all ya have to pay for is insurance, maintenance and such you would only have to work 4 months out of the year and goof off for the rest.

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

thats big, even by my standards /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

what part of oregon you in?

the only problem with your theory of only working 4 months of the year is this, i doubt you could find 4 solid months of the year where you could keep THAT particular truck in use.

anywho, sounds like a cool rig.
    Grant

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Schwing Pump
    [​IMG]
    Aerial View of Brundage Bone's 58M Schwing!
    [​IMG]
    And their 61M Schwing!
    [​IMG]
    Putzmeister Pump
    [​IMG]

If it was one of those pumps it actually has a reach of closer to 200ft (187ft-58M, and 197ft-61M) These pumps are freaking unreal. They can move between 180-210+ cu/yds of concrete an hour/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Thats like 18-20 full mixers an hour! (course our mixers are 11 3/4 yrd rigs)

The company we use here in town for our pumping has a couple of these (Schwing's) and a ton of the smaller ones like the quad axle rigs.

Those things are sweet./forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

We typically back two rigs up to the pump at once to keep the flow up and going, and allow us to move rigs on/off the site quickly.

I just can't believe how high the cab sits on those things!
    But they sure are an impressive site on the job site or out on the road.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Ughhhh... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Blah.... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Wanna bitch about a clutch or tranny job?
    LOL
    I'll have to take some pics of the next one that comes in.
    This one is one we have never seen before.
    Mack cab and interior, TOR emblam on the grill and a new Series 60 powering it. 18 speed tranny.
    Bitchin machine.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    These pumps are freaking unreal. They can move between 180-210+ cu/yds of concrete an hour

[/ QUOTE ]

So what kinda horsepower are we talking about here? I know a 200ft column of wet concrete must take a sh!tload of power to push...

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

They say that the 61 meter pump has a max pressure of 1169 psi on the concrete.
    I know that the rock valve they use is pretty unbeliveable in what it can push.
    It's an all hydraulic system, so you really don't need all that much horse power to run it.
    Coure it is pushing over 5000psi on the hydraulic side!
    And schwing is less than informative on their web site as to what these rigs have in them.
    I do know that the chassis is built by Mack, but that is about as much as I know about the chassis.

I wondered what they had in them as far as tranny's and engines. I imagine they would be a pain to work on. I know the Oshkosh chassis that I worked on in the service, which are similar, were a nightmare to work with and they had all kinds of removable body pannels.

I have gotten to play with the pump controls before, but after one guy actually laid his rig over (pulled in the outriggers with the boom fully erect /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif) they won't let anybody else run them.

Before my wreck I was looking to go over to Statewide and see about getting a job on the pumps since it pays better than the mixers and has about the same hours.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm REALLY curious now about the mechanics of pumping concrete - what's the pump look like? What's the flow of material look like as it goes through the pump? What's a rock valve?
    Is there a website I can go to and enlighten myself? Sounds like Schwing's site isn't gonna tell me what I want to know...

Oh, BTW - To generate 5000psi at the kind of flowrate I expect the hyd. system pulls, it will take a few horses... I'm thinking a few hundred at least.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i always thought that the pump uses a cork screw type of pump, because it comes out continuse flow,

and dose the front braces slide into the body of the truck??? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I think the schwing site may actually tell you a bit about the rock valve that they use.
    I'm not sure exatly how it works but i guess kinda like an air compressor, if you let air into the system while your filling the hopper (like say you weren't paying attention and let it get low then you managed to get caught back up for a sec) it will blow concrete all over the place out the back of the hopper /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif ask me how I know.

Here's an image of the rock valve.

[​IMG]

The concrete is usually poured into the hopper rather wet in order to get a better flow out of the system, but some jobs require stiffer concrete. We always prime the pumps with water to get the flow started. There is an aggitator in the hopper that keeps the concrete mixing and from setting up before it gets pumped. On these bigger rigs there usually is no problem with normal aggregate in the mix, but some of the small towed pumps require smaller pea sized aggregate.

I'm sure the rigs put out quite a bit of power in the bigger rigs, I typically work with the smaller ones and they don't have quite as much power. I wish the site had more info on the trucks themselves, but it's mostly on the pump bodies.
    Mack may have more info on their site since they build the chassis for these rigs.