Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big time alternator issues...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Sep 17, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Ill TRY and make this short. lol.

I added aux painless fuse panel to run gauges and off road lights,
    I added some off road lights, (2) 100watt & (2) 55watt
    I added a dual batt. setup using hellroaring isolator.
    I added 9k winch.

The way the dual batt setup was, the 2nd batt was strictly standby, all my stuff connected to main. I could combine them thru hellroaring switch.

All this using dual redtop optimas and factory alternator.

Now for the issues:

I replaced the 100watt lights with 135 watt lights and added a Mean-Green 200amp alternator. When I would drive truck like normal with headlights on, things were fine, as soon as I hit the off road lights the belt would squeel really loud. Thought it was loose belt, it wasnt.

So, I replace the belt with brandnew one, same problem.

I tightened belt again and went out last nite. When I would first hit off road lights, it would squeel, then it would keep doing it with headlights on. Id tighten belt and if that would help, it did not. Then my factory volt gauge was reading 10-11volts no matter if the headlights were on or not.

I put org. alt back in truck and still got low volt and some squeeling.

This morning, I disco'd all my extra accessories. The truck was returned back to "normal" there is was no excessive loads put on it. I disco'd the back up battery, the isolator, all the extra gauges and lights and winch.

Now its reading correct volts, but if i put on headlights I would still get squeeling. I swapped batts around and it wouldnt do it as bad, but if I was at a dead stop and punched it , it would squeel.

Went to auto store to have batts and alt. checked. Said the alt. readings were okay, but Ive got a connection at the top that doesnt look the greatest, kinda cruddy, etc. When I punched the gas to show him the sound, he heard it and then told me to turn it off.

He climbed up and wiggled the rad. water pump blades. There was quit a bit of play in the front of the water pump. He seemed pretty concerned about that.

I picked up a new water pump and new alt. connector. I havent had time to change it all, dunno when I will. But my question (and there are a few of them) are as follows:

1) can bad water pump cause these crazy alt and electical issues?

2) how hard is it to change waterpump in these things, I have A/C but no smog pump

3) what else could I look for, inspect, change, replace, etc.

4) why would the hi amp alt and bigger lights cause this, they were put in at the same time, so I cant say its one or the other.

5) the high amp alt was tested and it was fine, putting out 16v at full power (tested at autostore) & both batts were tested and took 6amp load and recovered.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

1. Could of been a coincidence that the water pump main shaft bearing started to squeal and go out. I've had it happen before many times.

2. Changing water pump is easy, just remove fan, belt( s ), and anything that is bolted to the water pump, then remove water pump, clearn up mating surfaces and reinstall stuff in reverse order :thumb:

3. Just check things over as your removing stuff that might look bad.

4. They are prolly not the issue.

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

UPDATE:

This has turned into one hellava abortion. I got new Water pump cuz my old one was goin bad, this is a fact. I got the old one off and tried putting the new one per instructions, I put water in rad. and it jus starting coming out instantly out of the pass. side of the water pump. I used the gasket and some RTV specific for water pumps. I put the RTV on the pump itself, put gasket on top and then some RTV on top of that. Its a PITA to get the pump off. have to move PS pump outa the way to get to one of the bolts. Anyways, I got the new pump back off and called it a day.

What is the proper way to seal up a water pump?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I never use RTV as a little goes a LONG way and most people use WAY to much. In your case it may have pushed the gasket out and allowed your leak. The best sealant to use would be a spray on such as hi-tack in a spray can the gaskets won't move around with the spray. Also did you get the gasket lined up correctly because on one side there is a small water hole in the pump as well which would leak water if the gasket were installed upside down or had moved on you.

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I always use ultra black rtv sealant.

I just dab some on to both surfaces (block and water pump) and spread a thin layer around with my finger. All you need is a thin layer and the gasket in between.

There are some bolts holes that go all the way through to the water chamber too. My block had three of the four drilled all the way through. be sure to put some silicon on the bolts to prevent leaks from them.

I guess you could use gasket sealer too. I only use it on gaskets around fuel. otherwise, I use silicon.

Just take your time and make sure the surfaces are clean. No oil or water on them or any dirt. Anything between the silicon and the metal will cause a leak.

6. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Yeah, im thinking I may have moved the pass. side gasket some when installing it, plus I did not put anything on the bolts. wasnt sure if they needed sealed themselves.

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Is it a v-belt setup or a multiple groove (typical of serpentine style, some 85-up vehicles had multiple single accessory multiple grove belts).
    A 200amp alternator may have trouble turning during heavy load with a v-belt. But with everything gone, it shouldn't squeal regardless.

8. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Its jus old school V belt. I put the org. alt back on cuz I thought I had a defective high amp alt. So I put org. back and discod all my crap and accessories, so it went back to stock, so I could start all over and trouble shoot.