Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big tires/No lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Cheyenne, Jun 3, 2000.

1. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to see how many of yall run big tires with no lift! I have 33's on my 79 and some fender cutting for clearance, but I want more tire. The way I understand it is that a flat spring allows for more articulation than a heavilly arched one, because it will compress more easily(right?), so , my stock springs are pretty flat and my off roading reveals this to be true. But I want more ground clearance so I am asking all to tell or show me your fender gutting techniques. Or maybe some of yall could convince me that a suspension lift is the way to go. Keep in mind I never intended for My Blazer to be pretty.

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

2. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

I think i am just gonna buy some 36" tires and hack till they fit.. I will do it somewhat nicely though. then later put fender flares on. That way i dont worry about pinion angles or crap like that. Body will be kinda low but axles would be in teh same place as a suspension lift and the same tires. After all isn't the axles what you want to clear? I like the big ole tires with little lift look

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

The one thing you have overlooked. Lifts help your approach/depart angle plus your breakover angle. If you want to have a flexy ride with stock springs, look into contacting Marvin Springer. He has a real flexy stock springed Blazer. He has also hacked the fenders some. He developed what is called the "Springer" rear shackle flip.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

4. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Neil true about the angles but I dont' have trails around here just mudding so I dont' have to worry much about that stuff. The only thing I don't like about them springer shackles is what happens when you throw on your brakes hard and all that momentum is transfered forward and the shackles spring open and you do a backwards wheelie?

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

5. rem7600

rem7600 1/2 ton status

Made me grin... I think the group would appreciate the picture of the backward wheelie! :-)))))

[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>REM7600 - '89 Jimmy</font color=purple>

6. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Would the "Revolver" shackles have that same problem?

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I know some of you guys don't like fiberglass, but in the 4x2 section I have posted a couple of pics of prerunner style fiberglass fenders with larger openings. Glassworks Unlimited makes a very nice heavy duty bolt on fender. The pics and links are posted under "custom body mods" topic. They also make a nice late-model conversion package. From '73-'87 to the '95 style. The Whitelightning Blazer on my site has one. Looks allot better than a hack job, but they cost allot more also. There is an article at http://www.off-road.com/prerocker/front_fe.html where they bolted a set on a 2WD Ranger a 33's fit with no lift. It was "Project Pre-Rocker" if anyone is interested.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

9. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Thats a good idea, but what I want is the more economical solution. I have a rust spot on my fenders anyway so instead of repair I opt for removal. I just mounted a 36 inch tire on the front and it looks like if I cut back to the spot where the tub and fender meet and a generous portion from the front it should clear with no problem.

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]