Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big tires, old school leaf springs, lotsa hard wheelin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, May 8, 2006.

?

How often do you replace your leaf springs?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2006.
  1. 6 months

1.4%
  2. 1 year

5.8%
  3. 2 years

5.8%
  4. 3 years

2.9%
  5. Never

69.6%
  6. This poll is Stoopid (insert subtitle)

14.5%
  1. FWP

FWP CRS

I'm curious if I'm in the minority, or it's normal. How often are you replacing them due to breakage or sag? If you reply, add your specs... ie. tire size, axles, spring type/ lift, wheelin style etc.

2. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

never, cause im a web wheeler.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I killed my super soft stock 56" rears in a little over a years time. My front BDS have sagged but aren't causing problems yet. Then again I'm no 6:1 big dawg!!:haha:

4. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Had to say within 6 mo.....Broke a set of RANCHO vomit.gif 4" front springs a few years back,while I was running 42's on a '73 3/4 ton.I mostly ran in the mud and the occasional trail.Broke the main leaf right behind the eye. Swapped them out for a set of Superlift springs and never looked back. I put the 6" ers on my K5,with a heavy 'ol piece of steel for a bumper and a 8274,no problems (so far)...

vomit.gif

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  5. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had my custom Deavers on for about 2 years now and still no sag:D.

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My buddy did a SOA on his cj with waggy springs, and they are allready starting to bend and sag after one run, but man can they flex

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

It must be the dry weather making your springs brittle:doah:

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I voted never but I have only had them out once since I put them on. Furthermore the spring packs were already bent when I got them:D . I run 1 tons with 37 MTRs and Rock:D I also do not have any spring clamps on them and they drop out like crazy so it is prolly only a matter of time before I bust a leaf.

Ira

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

is there any danger/negative effects to removing the spring clamps?

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Once/year on the FunBuggy...

Coils & coilovers would probably be better at lasting for our application. The twisting is what kills them...

Marv

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I installed 4" Skyjacker softride springs on my truck back in '96 or '97. I wheeled if pretty hard for years, including a couple years of being on 1-tons, dual lockers, 38" tires, front winch, and a heavy diesel engine before putting a small bend in the driver's side main leaf. Replaced them with 4" Tuff-Country HD's over a year ago and no problems so far.

12. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am using superlift springs on my truck. On my sami I replaced springs once a year mostly because of axlewrap in the rear. Fixed the axle wrap and didn't let the front springs go negative arch and they were fine after that. Front springs on my blazer are needing replaced if I had the money. It is from them going negative arch. Rear springs are showing their age. If I had the money I would replace them all the way around but I don't. BTW I have 40" iroks 1 tons 4.56 gears a 203 and a small block the springs are superlift rear springs from a 94 Dodge

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Only thing is possibly the spring can fan out if dropped out. But worse with no clamps the spring can drop way out and possibly break the main leaf.

Ira

14. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I haven't had to change them yet, but a friend of mine gave me a one off set of spring savers he built for his rig. I plan on installing them in the rear here in the next few months. They prevent spring twisting and are not recommended for street driving. Here are a few pic's:D

74fe.jpg

b001.jpg

d752.jpg

15. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I did some like that for my zuk but I put a spacer thing on them I could pull on and off so I could take them off for off road. On the road it definatly made the body roll worse. It also definately helped the springs live longer

16. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

i put my 3inch lift in today, and when i was taking the rear apart to put my lift blocks in, my over load spring, and my helper spring where broke in half. yay for me, now ive got new springs in it.

17. dhilgenberg

dhilgenberg Registered Member

Never replaced them but rears sag a little dont cause any problems its a little bumpy even with my new rs 5000s but no big deal in the mud

18. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I havent replaced mine (though i havent wheeled it in over a year) but the rears (ford 56's) both have been bent over backward plenty of times---the bushings do need replacement the front tuff country 6" held up well also. I think i had about4 years pretty hard wheelin.

all being run on your 42's:doah: and springer's odd ball ORD/springer flip:D

19. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I ran my stock springs for a long time. Then I started wheeling with you guys and they died. I replaced them with 6" TC EZ Rides and I cut the overload down and removed the bottom leaf to lower the springs to match my 4" lift. The first run out I S'ed both rear springs. I have run them for awhile since but they need replaced. I am going to be installing the controversial "Springer" rear spring setup this summer. We all know that excess droop is overrated and that the Springer setup doesn't work. :D But what the hell I know a guy or two that has used it and it seemed ok to me.

Harley

20. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not yet. I have been wheelin 4 inch skyjacker softride springs pretty hard for about 5 years now.