Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Tires Small Lift Less Flex vs. Smaller Tires and More Flex????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nitrodrip350, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

This is what I want to know from my fellow Rockcrawlers. I have taken a good amount of metal (rust!) off of my fenders, to the point that I think I can almost put 35 without a lift on. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif This is my dilemma, the more that I read in 4wheeler they talk about bigger tires with less lift - giving better ground clearance and a lower center of gravity. But I also see smaller tires 35-37's with a lot of articulation i.e. Springer Suspension. The more I read the more I find the more major Rockcrawler are around 39.5 and up? So it comes down to this is the loss in flex really worth running larger tires and getting better ground clearance??? Or is it better to stay smaller with the tires and twist the hell out of it?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks - Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Big tires and lots of flex with a small lift is where it's at. It's only metal, just keep on going with the sawzall. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I don't think that you can get much bigger than 36 or so with no lift, no matter how much you cut it. If you move the front axle forward you might be able to do it, but in the stock position the tires are going to hit the firewall pretty bad when it flexes. </font color>

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Big tires small lift and lots of articulated down travel. You can keep the center of gravity low and still have 30+ inches of wheel travel by letting the truck rest low on the travel. Longer flatter springs and some of the creative ways people are making use of them can accomplish this with a low investment. I run 4" of suspension lift on 38's, added a 3" body lift at the time to clear the fenders. Now that I've cut most of them off.. I'll be taking it back out to lower the center of gravity but keep the huge flex, that article is right on.

4. Nitrodrip350

Nice I had a feeling you would chime in!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That is exactly what I thought, there is always a heating discussion about bigger tires and small lift messing up flex. I think that the most I want to lift is 4 inches, now when others state about the tires hitting the firewall would ORD's zero rates help me with this or is it going to have to be moved forward even more?

5. Nitrodrip350

I think that I have already done that!!! I really don't know how everybody cuts with a Sawzall, my fiance bought me one for Christmas (yes she is that cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)last year and it has a mind of it's own! Just did mine about a month ago with a grinder and a cut off disk - really worked great .....

Shane - /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My 38's (38x16 on 15" rim) just barely miss hitting the firewall as it is with 3.5" backspaced rims. You would have to offset the axle forward for a larger tire in my opinion and may start hitting the radiator mount. I don't run inner fenders either.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am running a 2.5in lift and 38x13x16in tsl swampers and i can max out a 23degree rti ramp /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif how is that for small lift big tires and lots of flex /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Boy... this topic is like bringin' up the auto vs. manual argument around a campfire after a couple o' beers /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif...

There's no doubt that bigger tires help you more in the rocks and mud. One old Jeep guy I used to wheel w/ used to say "the bigger the tire, the smaller the rock" /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif. But how big is too big? and would all of us be happy living w/ 52's /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif...

I think the bigger tires have both pluses and minuses. Everyone here prolly knows the pluses, and most are intimately familiar w/ the minuses. One off road situation where bigger is not necessarily better is in the sand. It's highly possible to "over tire" yourself in the sand if you upgrade to a larger/heavier tire and don't match it with a Hp upgrade.

I'm still (despite people giggling at my A/T's) running 35's on the Blazer, and I'm only stepping up to 38's on the FunBuggy. Somehow, I've always felt more comfy on the small end of "popular" tire size - probably because I still drive on the street.... and try to hit the dunes at every opportunity too! And if you don't think you can have fun with 37" tires in the rocks, go watch an ARCA (or whatever it's called now) competition! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Still the trend is to definitely go BIG! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.. Look at the average tire size of TTC competitors. Only a few years ago, everyone was on 35's and now anything less than 44's is considered a "short" tire!

Marv

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    and would all of us be happy living w/ 52's

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if I could drive from between and not above the tires! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Nitrodrip350

Are those 38's in your webshots?

11. Nitrodrip350

Marv, I have really been looking into your system, what is the largest tire you have seen run on it?

Thanks - Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have done it both way's. 32's an 4 inches of lift and 35's and 5 inches. Truck did very well on the 32's but 35's made all the difference in the world! Suspension flex stayed the same. The extra inch came from Zero rates.
    Your not going to clear 32's on the trail with sway off without lift. If you have the right shocks the tires will hit the fenders. with 4 inches of lift on the 32's I could scrub all for tires. When I went to the 35's I did a couple things. I added a leaf in the rear pack (i'm using a shackle flip so stock springs). I put Zero rates on both ends. The front axle I moved forward one inch. I also installed a 1 inch body lift. I can ramp 839 on a 25 degree ramp with the 35's and NO scrub. Fenders are only trimmed back to the inner fenders.

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

there is not a motor sport that i know of that does not want as much rubber as possible.

Big tires take up alot of void, and help lift your frame out of harms way.

I got 6" of suspension lift on 39.5's and the Spinger Suspension. I am faily confident that the weaking link now lies in my tranny housing or possibly the tie-rod as i still am running the stock version. But with a good suspension set up, big meats, D60/14b set up, its pretty solid, IMHO

14. Nitrodrip350

Great this is the info I'm looking for. Most of Marv's site pics are of 35's. I went to your website but couldn't find any pics of your suspension flexing, do you have any hang-ups with 39's the 6 inch lift? I saw you cut the fenders, I've got that done but any issues with the firewall? Are the inner fenders still there? Does the rear just have the Springer on it? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the flex pics i do have were before the Springer Install.

I think my problems are going to be shock placement after I tun the rear to the frame rails. There is not alot of room for the 39.5's to stuff in the stock wheel wells, as they do on Marv's rig.

I have not hit the firewall (or to my knowledge i haven't) but the axle is moved forward a bit with the ORD shackles, which really help IMHO.

I have yet to fully test the suspension as i still have to make my brakelines, tub the rear, and mount the shocks. a ways to go.

16. Nitrodrip350

200th POST!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So are the inner fenders still in?

17. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Probably Russ (BadDog) on 42's...

Marv

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yes, inner fenders are still in.

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

*drools whenever he thinks of the Truggy*

mmmmmm....Truggy....

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

How are you going to do the rear shocks with the springer setup?
    J