Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chrislk02, May 18, 2001.

1. chrislk02

chrislk02 Newbie

i drive a 79 chevy blazer. we put a 4 inch suspencion lift and a 1 inch body luift(closer to 2 with the new bushings). we have also had the fenders cut back and the bushwacker fender flares put on. does any body think 38 15.50 tires are to big? if so, what could b done to make them fit?

2. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

38's are probably pushing it a bit. You gotta have room for those meats to move around without rearranging your fenders. Do you have a buddy with tires around that size?
    Maybe you can test fit 'em. Or if you find a shop in the area that has em, sometimes they will let you test fit em. Otherwise it's quality time with the tape measure checking all the ways that tire can go. Good luck.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

3. 1big78k5

1big78k5 Registered Member

I would have to say 36's are about the max for that amount of lift, if you want to be able to wheel it with out loosing your fenders or tearing up your tires.

'78 K5 SB400, T350, NP203, 35" Swampers

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, on that truck with 4" you can run 35" with a little trimming. Some people go to 6” for 35s. I think cutouts (unless they are radical) will allow 36" or so depending on how flexy your suspension is. You might be able to run bigger tires by using bump stops to limit travel but I don't think I would go that route. I think 38s are going to be a little too much. Like the other post said, when you want to push the limit like that, the best thing is to find a way to actually test it on the truck. Make sure you test it with one wheel full stuffed and the other at full droop just to make sure.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I personally think 38's would kick some serious butt ! Have you seen pccorsmit (i think thats how you spell it) It has 2.5 inch lift and 39's ! I love the look !

- SlyDog [​IMG]

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Sawzall it and it will come. All depends on how much off roading your rig does and flex...

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

7. yes! cut cut cut!!! big tires, low lift, cut cut cut! 38s would kick a$$. pete's rig should be an ispiration to us all to buy a new pack of sawsall blades and go to town! i plan to squeeze another inch or so out of my lift and go 38s when my 35s wear out.[​IMG]

78, 350/350/203, 3/4 ton, 4" lift, 35" BFGs
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oh yes! I totally agree on the cutting! [​IMG] However, he mentioned using 'Whackers" so his cutting option is limited. Not sure exactly how much room those flares provide but I don't think it will completely clear anything larger than 36, maybe 37. Of course, I could be wrong, those flares may provide more room than I thought...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.