Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big trip to Europe finally, help me plan or ideas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by supersize75k5, Feb 26, 2007.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

This summer, july 1st-17th ill be off to europe with my partner in crime who gets out of the navy at the end of june.

so far the plan consist of..

1.making a plan:doah:

anyways, he has been all over, i talked to my travel agent a bit, but the main thoughts are to get a euro rail pass, plan the long train rides at night and go with just a back pack.

i need to get a passport,

how about safety? ways to carry cash/travlers checks etc??? I have a belt that hides money in the inside of it, but how to people travel and not get mugged? I know to keep my mouth shut but im sure ill stick out as an american.

sites to see or events?? my buddy also wants to go to england as well but I think that is really pushing it for just two weeks. hell my g/f is going to just france in june for 2 weeks.

also anytips on hostils? or hotels???

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

amsterdam comes to mind....

also don't watch the movie Hostel before you leave. my buddy watched it the day before he left for Europe for 6 weeks,LOL kinda weirded him out

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Any ideas on where you're going to spend most of your time? My buddy goes to Europe usually a couple of times a year. I think he spends most of his time in Spain and Italy (he has family there), if you plan on going to either one of those I'll ask him for suggestions. I know he's been to Amsterdam as well, I'll see what he says and post up.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

France is a big country with vastly altering terrain. The Alps are beautiful if you're going down that far. There is all the war memorials etc in the north west of the country. Places like Troyes (pronounced twar??!!lol) have incredibles old cities if you're into that. Anercey in the same.
    Despite what you think of French politics, the French people are really friendly easy going folk. Big cities have big city attitudes, like the rest of the world.
    Accomadation, Chambre D'hotes are like bed and breakfast in private homes and chateaus. They're cheap and homely, you usually eat with the family. These are everywhere. There are guides available. Amazon may be a good place to buy one. There are really cheap motels called Formula One but they're generally on main routes. If you're back packing Chambre D'hotes would prob be your best bet.
    If you're venturing out of France, Austria is beautiful and the people are great as are the Dutch. Most Dutch speak English. A lot of Austrians do but in france you'll need to attempt a bit of Franglais!
    If you're in north west France, England is only 35 minutes away by train!
    Sounds like a good trip. Make some plans and I'll see if I can be of some help.
    You don't want to hire a car in France?Europe? It's pretty cheap and you'll get to see a lot more of the countryside and all the small villages/towns.

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Whatever you do, you have to cross Abbey Rd; barefooted...:whistle:

6. southernspeed

I think they've moved the crossing now anyway!

7. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

If you end up in Paris stop in here and have a few drinks.

[​IMG]

8. southernspeed

Hell, if you're going to Paris, have a beer and watch the can can,....and I'm not talking about the Eskimo!:D No offence Paul!!:p:
    [​IMG]

9. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Bewbers!!!!!

I've been to England and Scotland, and it really is beautiful country. I was planning on going to Paris and Amsterdam in May, but I took a job that won't allow me to leave for that long of a period (especially then, we're gonna be doing a shutdown). My suggestsions are to travel light, carry a translation dictionary so you can butcher native languages and start a fight, and keep spare cash on hand (but well hidden).

10. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

the only thing you really need to know in europe is ....

sew a canadian flag on your backpack and say "eh" alot.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Try not to look so young , wouldn't want no weirdo Euro dude to mistake you for a 12 year old American runaway:haha::haha::haha::haha:

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Don't bother with traveler's checks. Just use a credit card and ATM card. There will probably be a 3% fee in addition to the difference in value of the Euro and Dollar (about E1.00=$1.30 now, IIRC).

From what I saw (Spain and Portugal) pick-pockets were more of a problem than muggers. Either way don't go flashing a lot of cash.

The only bad thing about your plan is you are going in the peek season so there will be crowds and the prices will be higher. Like anything else, supply and demand.

Its a little late to be getting your passport. You may need to get it done "rush". Of course that costs extra. Find out before everything gets mailed off.

Make a copy of your passport, driver's licences, credit cards (including the backs where the contact phone numbers are), plane tickets, and insurance cards. Have your friend do the same and swap copies in case one of you looses theirs or they are stolen.

If you go to Spain, let me know and I can give you some specifics. Two weeks will go by fast. Don't try to see the whole Continent, its more fun to make a loose plan and spend more time in a place if you are having fun and split early if you're not.

13. southernspeed

But where ever you go in Europe, but especialy Spain, don't let your credit card out of your sight for a second, especially in restaurants. If they don't have a hand held device go to the till with them. There is a lot of card fraud and cloning going on. Also most places are on the 'chip and pin' card system now and I'm not sure if you use that yet?
    Although French hotels will take credit card Chambre D'hotes won't. Also, not many places take AmEx. Mastercard and Visa are the biggest here.

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Good point, I forgot about that. I read the same thing on several travel sites before I went. For the most part I used the CC for hotels, tickes, and things like that. I paid for the rest with cash. FWIW, same goes for South America.

Also, let your bank & CC company know you will be out of the country. If you don't you may find your card disabeled.

15. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Have you figured a budget and a tentative plan as far as where you want to go?

You can find and reserve hostels online. I would probably pretend to be Canadian if I were going to France. Last time I was there they werent too happy about having 5500 sailors invading their town (Marseilles) and had an anti war rally. England is great, a little pricey though.