Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BigBlock 454 with Th350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aknight_sa, Apr 15, 2006.

1. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

do they work normally together?? or would the 454 kill the th350 with time?

2. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

The TH350 only reacts to what hp/torque is being directed it's way. I've got a buddy with a very mild 454/th350 combo in a very heavy Sub. that gets the heck wheeled out of it and has lasted a couple years, yes it has the appropriate coolers but that's a necessity for any auto.

I'll bet there will be a lot of input on this , also a couple that will scream..Search..., but first more info. Is it a fire breathing big block or a low hp, easy running torque monster?

Light or heavy rig?
    tow or play ?

Jeff

3. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Put a 350 behind a bombed (souped up) Cummins. Lots of torque. Use a Allison torque converter tho.

4. aknight_sa

up to now its a standard 1991 big block installed on a 81 Jimmy (also standard, no lifts) not planning on doing any mods, it will be a normal day to day car plus crusing in the dunes!!

5. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Just be careful... sand has a way of blowing things up... since your constantly spinning the tires it heats up alot of things... especially the tranny. Just don't get too crazy.

6. hero

hero Registered Member

I run a TH350 behind my pretty much stock 454. I've been running this setup for about 6 - 8 months now with no issues but the truck is mostly a DD. I don't have a lot of confidence in it lasting long if I beat on it regularly though. When this one goes I'll put in a TH400, but I just don't want to swap transmissions unless I have to.

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I talked to my local tranny guy when I was thinking about running a th350 behind a stout bbc. He said he could build the tranny so I wouldn't have any problems. Since then, the bbc still isn't done, but I changed my mind to go with a th400, but now I'm leaning towards a 4 speed:D

8. 74BBPowerHouse

74BBPowerHouse Registered Member

With a stock BB im sure it will be fine. I have a 500 HP big block with a 2800 RPM Stall. And used the stock tranny cooler. Needless to say my BB only has 110 miles of break in and the TH350 ate sh*t. But notw im upgrading to a TH400 with a B n M tranny cooler. But yeah if your all stock you'll be fine. Only problem i had with it was the governer went out so you had to manually down shift. Hope it helps.

9. aknight_sa

my Jimmy is now running with the BB installed, i kind of like the power its giving me.. but when i give it a full throttle the car's body doesnt like it and shakes like an earthquacke it about to happen.. also, there is a bad smell which i cant really identify comes out when i give it a beat..

10. Stump-a-holic

Stump-a-holic Registered Member

I am running a some what built 468 with a built t350. I've owned the truck for 5 years and the guy I bought it from built it up this way. Other than blowing a line once Ive never had any problems with this combo. I mostly do deap mud and Im never kind to the forward-reverse action. I always figured it would go and I would upgrade to a 400 at that point but its seems to be holding on pretty good.

11. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I personaly went through one a year for 4 years behind my stock 427 tall deck in my 72 blazer. I just pulled the last one apart to what happend and every shaft was broke. I was just drive down the highway when it went.

12. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

I had a 72 c10 2wd with a 454 and 350t, I had it rebuilt twice in one month. The first time it broke the second gear all to hell, The second time the front pump literally broke into about 5 or so pieces. Sold it not long after.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

drag cars do it all the time.