Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BigBurb and others, need seriouse help again.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, Aug 6, 2002.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. Look I am extreamly upset hear. Verry frustraited. I finished putting everything back together for the last time just minuets ago. I got evrything worked out yesterday, but just ad time to put it all back together for the first time just minuets ago. I checked everthing serveral times to make sure that everything worked before I put the wheel back on etc. It all did. I finsh4ed and put all my tools away. then I went to jump in and start it and the ignition was hard to turn, then when it did turn nothing. The rack slipped out of the actuator rod pin. I dont understand, it was perfect. How can that happen. Is there a way I can tighten this so that it when i put it back in, this wont happen again. I cant belive I have to tear this thing down for the 7th time. Entering day 5. WTF /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    Ike

2. 86blazerk5

This sucks, its 11:21 pm my time. I have this thing all torn down again, i have done it so many times, that I can do it minuets now. I have the rack back in place with the actuator rod. But i am nervouse about reasymbleing everything becuase I am affraid that my once I get it all together. The rack will pop out again. I want to reasymble it so I can drive it tomorrow. Its been sitting since saturday afternoon. I cant decide wether to risk waisting my time again. I really want to get it driving, but I had it tonight and it poped out. That would be my luck, I would get it to work and it would get me all the way to work and pop out when I am about to go home and i would be stuck. I wish someone who knew the answer to my question was on tonight

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm, Maybe I'm retarded or somethin, But I have no idea what you're talkin about?? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Part of the steering column? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. What are you talking about? The ignition lock cylinder? I'm not following you on this one. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The rack slipped out of the actuator rod pin

[/ QUOTE ] Here is a blown apart view of the tilt column, I hope it helps ! Look under Burb stuff !! Tilt column blown apart view

5. 86blazerk5

Hey BigBurb. I took a chance and rebuilt it again last night. I didnt get done till 2 in the morning. It is working operfectly for now. i sure hope it disnt pop out again. i have no idea how it poped out to begin with. I checked to see that it was in serveral times before reasymbling. I get done, out the tools away go to start it and it slips it. I am refering to parts numbers 35 and 36 according to your tilt stearing diagram. The Hayns called them the rack, and the Ingnition actuator rod pin. The part that moves in and out as the igntion is turned that reaches down into the lower column and pulls up or pushes in the piece that actually starts the vehicle. Anyway, all is good now. I left all the tools in the truck incase it pops out on me somewhere, then I can rebuild it if nessisary.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Ike

6. You're damn good at that tilt column now !!! Glad to hear you got it all together.

7. 86blazerk5

Yeah, honestly, A little too good if you ask me. The last time i did it, i did it in the dark in my driveway with the porch light on and a flash light. I just about have it down pat now. Hopefully, I'll never have to do it again.
    Ike

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hey Burb, I got my tilt column from UPS today after work and rebuilt it in about 1.5 hours tonight. Apparantly it's MUCH easier when it's not in the truck. Once the pins come out of it you can pull the peices way apart and it's really easy to get to the bolts in the bowl. Unfortuately one of the pins was really loose and I had to swedge it back in. It still seems to have just the slightest amount of play in it, but hopefully it's normal. How tight is the steering shaft supposed to be? Seems like it was really loose when I started in on it, but afte rit's together the shaft is a little bit harder to spin. Not really stiff, just a bit more than before. Anyways, I took a bunch of pictures along the way, if you don't mind I'm going to take your write up and add some notes to it to help other people in the future and take the pics and link to them to provide visuals for the rebuild. Thanks for the great write up! </font color>

9. SOunds like a plan !! I wish that I would have taken pics when I did mine !!