Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bigger/ better radiator fan???

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by FWP, Jun 25, 2004.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

I currently have a 20" 5 blade fan on my 6.2. I want a better fan, that will pull more air. Is there something else out there that I could use? Maybe something I could get off of a gasser at the local boneyard? Anyone ever researched this kind of thing?

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Fred,

I am doing the same thing right now for the 6.5L (my son turned it back to me).

There is a place on ebay selling stuff of the 6.5 reverse rotation. A duramax 21" blade with a new clutch for 175-200.

The duramax fan can be adapted for the 6.2 I think?? Not sure as the 6.2 v-belt is CW rotation. Serpentine is CCW. The duramax fan is pretty cheap from the dealer.

Heath diesel has a lot of stuff:
    http://www.heathdiesel.com/?action=shopbybrand&brand=1

Cooling mods here (the best prices on Hayden clutches I have seen any where):
    http://www.heathdiesel.com/?action=&make=gm&model=gm8293&cat=2

But I think Peninsular diesel has the best cooling stuff for the price as far as the dual T-stat stuff for the 6.2:
    http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/
    the actually have the high flow water pumps for the 6.2... I haven't seen them anywhere else

Kennedy has the special calibration fan clutch ....$250...but I don't think it works on the 6.2....I'm not sure though....the more I think about that the more I think I could be wrong.
    http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You do have to trim the fan or shroud sometimes to fit the duramax fan - I do know that.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Mark. I was more looking at factory options thing, that might be available locally, for cheap. I can go down the road you mention, I'll have to investigate the duramax fan thing, cutting the shroud is no big deal.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Before you do anything have you confirmed the fan clutch works? I know mine is non functional, but since I don't tow anything it maintains normal temps anyways. Still on my list of stuff to do though.

Rene

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

A later model 6.5L or Duramax fan will not work on the 6.2L with a v-belt system. The 6.5L and Duramax engines use serpentine belts, which ends up running the water pump and fan in reverse, compared to our 6.2L's. You might be able to bolt a Duramax fan onto the 6.2L, but it won't do any good because it will be running backwards.

I think the stock 6.2L fan is just fine, it's the fan clutch that needs help. A bigger fan won't help at all if the fan clutch won't engage and start turning it.

Mine works great, I can hear it kick in and out when pulling a load. It also kicks in at idle during the summer time, when stopped at a stoplight with the a/c on. When I pull away from the stop, it really roars for a few moments until it cools down.

You can adjust the clutch so it will kick in sooner by very gently bending the spring located on the front of the clutch. You can also make it engage full time, if you wanted to, by popping the spring out of it's slots.

Casey

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Casey, that makes sense. Where did you get your fan clutch from? I think Kennedy's is too pricey for me.

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Mine's just a plain old stock GM 6.2L fan clutch.

Casey