Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bigger cam in a diesel?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ramses, Mar 7, 2006.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Im just getting into diesels and im trying to learn everything I can about modifying them for performance and I was just wondering why I hardly ever see anyone putting a bigger cam in a diesel like you would in a gasoline motor to get more power. Would a bigger cam not give a diesel more power too? Also, is there an exhaust size too big to run on a diesel, and would headers not give more power too? I see trucks with 5 inch pipes sometimes but some people have told me you can go too big. I plan on swapping a 6.2 in this summer when I find one and I want to modify it to get as much power as I can. So far, aside from a turbo and a big exhaust, I dont know much else to do to a 6.2 to get more power.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The turbo, and bigger exhaust will get you so much out of the stock CAM that no one looks into these parts.
    The best thing you can do to a diesel is Turbo, big pipe and Propane injection which works best with a Turbo.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I think it was persons just ran an artical last month about high powering a 6.2, good artical, had accsesorys and years to use/avoid

4. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I think youre talking about the article in Diesel Power. I know a turbo and exhaust is the best things to do to a diesel, but I just want to know if anything that works well on a gasoline motor would work well with a diesel too, and what else can be done to a 6.2 to get more power.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Exactly. If you are going to build up a diesel, throw out nearly all the info you know about hotroding a gas engine, you won't need that info.

Diesels are totally different. There are no cam upgrades for a 6.2 that I know of, but the 5.9 Cummins in the Dodges do have aftermarket cams available to them since there is such a HUGE aftermarket base for that engine. What you get out of a diesel cam upgrade is different though, mainly guys do it to lower EGTs.

6. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

There is a custom cam available for the 6.5's. I think most don't buy it because the added gains are not worth the cost. I guess if all out performance was what you wanted then it may be worth it. Pennisular diesel I think is who sells it.