Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bigger gas tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fordeater, May 25, 2004.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I read on here of people having like a 43 gallon gas tank on their k5's. Does anybody know where to get one?

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

AeroTanks

This place has them as well as aux tanks.

3. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

maybe in subs, but not in k5's unless one does some major mods. i think u have to move a cross member or something. good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You just have to go aftermarket. Years ago I replaced the stock tank on a '72 Blazer with a 45 gallon aftermarket tank. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It used up every bit of available space underneath and also hung down a bit lower than the stock tank. But the rear of the tank was angled up to help the departure angle and I ordered it with the optional skid plate built in. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The same company also made 18 gallon aux. tanks for each side, so you could carry 81 gallons of fuel if you really wanted to. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i have no problem going aftermarket, i just don't know who makes them.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Desert Rat here got one from an outfit called Northwest something or other...

here's a linkie

to the thread, and ... to the mfr

I think his is a 43 gallon. It was fricken huge lookin' in his garage /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

IGOR has on from Northwest Metal Products in his 1st Gen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There's a 48gallon on my '73 K5. It was there when I bought the truck from a church in Arizona, who was the original owner. They said they had that tank put on in the 70's. I'm currently in the middle of frame-offing my truck, all fibergalss body, etc...etc..etc..., I had the tank Re-nu'd (it wasn't leaking, but while it was off I paid the $100), it has a skid-plate built into it...
    I wish I know who made it, it could be a custom job

9. tj_k5

tj_k5 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    maybe in subs, but not in k5's unless one does some major mods. i think u have to move a cross member or something. good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have to do any modifications to install mine /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ya ? what size ? was it stock ? i tried a 43 gallon sub tank in my blazer and it wouldnt work ?

11. tj_k5

tj_k5 Registered Member

Yeah, I have the Northwestern 43 gallon tank and it literally bolted right up. My truck is lifted but I wouldn't see a problem if it wasn't.

12. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the Sub tanks will not bolt into the Blazers without lots-o-mods.

The aftermarket big Blazer tanks are however direct bolt in units. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I was looking at the 45 gal Burb tank and the dual 18 gal aux tanks for my truck (Burb)
    But with that much weight from fuel I'm sure I'll sink in the mud! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Suburban tanks are only 40 gallon.

14. tj_k5

tj_k5 Registered Member

I don't have a Suberban tank /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

You going to South America and back or something? Holy cow, you'll be suspected of something if you pull to close to large buildings.
    I just added the 2nd 20 gal tank to my '86 C10, my daily commuter, and I feel like a rolling bomb when I fill that thing up....

16. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Well the thought of an Alaska to the Florida Keys trip has been on my mind for a loooong time.

I have a lot of work to do before I could even consider it, but it is something I'd like to do and the extra fuel capacity would be pretty cool.

And I could sleep well at night with the thought that I can actually pass every other gas station! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Oh and 4xcrazy: [ QUOTE ]
    Suburban tanks are only 40 gallon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Northwest Metal Products Tanks are 45 gallons for a Burb and 43 for Blazers. These are not stock tanks. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif