Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bigger radiator the wrong one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, May 31, 2004.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Hi, last week I bought a bigger radiator to replace my dead stock one. The new radiator is meant for a 91 Blazer/Suburban/89-90 G Series Van. It is 28x19 Core (4 row). I upgraded to this one cause I eventually plan on swapping in a 454. But, the problem is, when I went to go install the new one, it has the holes where the tranny lines are supposed to go blocked up. It is hard to tell if they are just some sort of plug to block the whole if you dont need to use them, but they werent budging that easily and I didnt want to wreck the new radiator in case I had to send it back. I called and was told these come blocked so its universal so whether you have an auto or manual.... I was told by the tech when I bought it that this one would replace mine just fine. The new one appears on the outside to be the exact same thing but this one difference.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I got the same one for my Blazer. Got it at Autozone. Had to throw a little heat on the plugs and they turned right out no problem.

-Chris

3. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

You might consider a seperate tranny cooler. I did this exact same thing.....yesterday! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I just upgrade to the autozone radiator as well. It had some plugs in the tranny cooler lines that took a meaty flat head screwdriver to get out. Sounds like ya just gotta get the plugs out. On the subject of tranny coolers, you should run a addon cooler in addition to the raditator cooler, not in place of it.

5. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks, I'll have to try the plugs again. I actually do have a separate tranny cooler I need to install too, i installed a sort of bracket to attach it to in front of the radiator but had to take it out....I've had it for a wicked long time and have just never had the time to fully reinstall it....no more school though now /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif but now on to a real full-time job /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif after this weekend, I'll have finally quit my weekend job and will have plenty of time on the weekends to finally do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I attached mine using some plumbers tape , bolts, and my drill. I started with an existing hole on pass side , made brackets to cooler, and used center up right support in center behind grille. Using 3 spots to hold it. It has to be low enough hood latch doesn't hit it. I ran my hoses through larger hose for abrasion protection and used existing holes behind horn and next to radiator.

Pass side Closeup

Ceter support closeup

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just upgrade to the autozone radiator as well. It had some plugs in the tranny cooler lines that took a meaty flat head screwdriver to get out. Sounds like ya just gotta get the plugs out. On the subject of tranny coolers, you should run a addon cooler in addition to the raditator cooler, not in place of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I run my seperate cooler for the tranny and it stays at the perfect temp, I don't have freezing temps so it works for me.
    Just make sure you have a temp guage to know if it's doing OK.