Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

biggersteering pump resovoir with hyrdo assist?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Apr 17, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i have seen pics on here where guys extended the resovoir on the steering pump when adding hydro assist, and im wondering if that necessary, or if i can run without it. eventually i would probably add it, but for now i just want to drive it. what do you think, is that gona be enough fluid in the pump to cycle through the ram?

also, is bleeding the steering system the same with a ram, or do i have to bleed the ram some different way?

2. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

the ram itself and all the new lines increases your capacity anyways. if you wanted you could run a cooler. than would be better for it than a bigger resovoir, and accomplish the same effect.

the steering system is designed to be self bleeding. just start it up, and turn it back and forth lock to lock a few times in your driveway before you drive it.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You will need something that can handle the added capacity of the ram.

4. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

like the ram itself. the ram is never out of the fluid once its in there.

5. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

think about it, there is fluid on both sides of the piston in the ram.

6. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

the only added capacity needed would possibly be the displacement of the rod itself in the front of the piston.

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Think about it for a second..

If you dont have enough room for the fluid that gets pushed back when the ram isnt extended where is it going to go?

Every truck Ive seen with hydro assist has had to add capacity somehow because they were forcing it out when they turned in the direction that the ram wasnt extended...

8. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

just so we get it straight before we get going, im not trying to just be an ass, ok?

anyways, when the ram isnt extended, the fluid that comes out of it, goes into the other side of it. the ram gets compressed because fluid pushes on the piston from the shaft side. and the only difference in displacement between the two sides of the ram is that the "front" has the shaft of the ram itself taking up a little space. that little space shouldnt be enough to require a whole new resovoir.

9. daleearnhardt01

Oh you're fine man ;) I understand how hyraulics work and all that, Im just going on what Ive seen on people's rigs. For whatever reason they were forcing fluid out with the stock capacity..

10. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

some of my buddies run it without any mods like that that i have seen. i guess we will see when i put mine on soon.

11. daleearnhardt01

Every truck is different..:D

12. muddybuddy

alright well i guess ill solve this by tryin w/o adding anything additional and see how it works, if it shoots fluid, then ill do what the guys on here have done to their rigs

13. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tried running mine with just the stock pump/reservoir. It didn't work no matter what I did-sometimes it would be starved, other times it would puke fluid everywhere. I eventually extended the neck and that's all it took.

14. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yea alls i had to do was add hose to the tope of the pump and that took care of it.

15. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I don't see a need for a resevoir... if you want more fluid, add a cooler and a remote filter (summit/jegs have kits hella cheap). The radiator-hose-filler-tube-extension trick is also well worth the few bucks it costs to do.

j

17. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

damn it, i hate when i say something and remember i am wrong. i have seen the extended neck on the pump. but i didnt put two and two together. oh well.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think you are right and wrong. A double acting cylinder has fluid on both sides, I'm not 100% sure if it's equal on both sides (that may account for the rise and fall of the fluid). I believe the biggest reason for the added capacity of a reservoir is expansion. Previous to the hydraulic assist there was x amount of fluid in the system that expands, now there is y amount of fluid in the system that is expanding as it gets heated. Because it expands in direct proportion (i.e. same fluid), the more fluid in the system the larger the amount of expansion, and the greater need for a "reservoir". A good cooling system will sometimes work as it adds capacity and cooling, but if the fluid heats enough, it will need room to go.

An example would be that if a fluid at 70 degrees would expand 10% at 100 degrees, a system that started with a volume of 50L would now take up the volume of 55L, where as a system that started with 100L would now take up the volume of 110L. More fluid = more expansion at the same operating temp.

Just me thinking out loud......:crazy:

19. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's a good point leadfoot.

20. muddybuddy

whats the cheapest and easiest way to extend the neck? id rather not have to buy another pump jus to use the top part for my cap. what are my options? i did a search and i only saw 2 pics total. what is everyone using?