Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Biggest Cut - Major Surgery

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Guy, Sep 16, 2000.

1. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

OK, so how big of a fender cut is possible (and still have some fender). With the objective being much bigger tires, without the drive-line angle problems, etc of a big lift.

So, what limits the size of the cut. I assume the inner fender well in front would have to be removed, and then something new fab'ed to fill in. Is there any other structural components that would be a problem?

What about on the rear? Filler tube or something would limit how far you could cut?

I'd also like some links to pictures w/ big cuts.

Thanks for any help,

PS: Did get the front have of my 4" lift installed today. Tomorrow is the back end.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

2. DaveBlazer

DaveBlazer Registered Member

good question I plan On cutting my fenders tommorow while I have a plasma torch avalable to me. I plan on installing 4in susp and 2in body and would like to run 38.5's but not sure how much to cut. It may be a while b4 I lift it and do tires. But I would like to trim b4 I paint! What about steve's fender trimming in his reveiw on it. Is that gonna be enough? I really don't want to have to do it again. I really like the way his turned out. How big of tires do you plan on running?

[​IMG] BLAZER FEVER!! ITS CONTAGIOUS. [​IMG]
    <font color=yellow> 88 </font color=yellow><font color=black>K5<font color=black>

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey DaveBlazer, I'm gonna do a 4 inch suspension lift, 2 inch body lift and 38s too! How much trimming do you think it will need. I'm gonna do mostly street driving with some mud and a little bit of trails.I don't mind trimming the fenders at all. I did see a pic of a chevy truck with a 4 inch suspension lift and 3 inch body with 44s. Can't remember where. All I remember that it was wery ugly. I don't mean ugly in a "good" way[​IMG]. Almost all of the fenders were gone, and the trim went as far as the doors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

4. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I put the front of a 4" Rancho lift on today. It seems like a huge 4". I had previously put on the bushwacker cut-out flares. It looks like a huge hole in there. I have 31's now, but I'm beting 38 would fit. There is a huge amount of room. I'm kind of wondering if some 4" lifts are bigger than others. I had also planned on a 1" ord body lift, but I'm not sure now I'll need it.

** addition to post **

I went out and measured. From the center of my hub, to the corners of my bushwakers, are 23", setting level. That is 8" clear between my current 31"s (15" radius from hub) and the corners. I would assume 38's would add only 3.5" more to the tire radius, and reduce my 8" clearance to 5".

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

79Guy,
    I'll tell you this. I just got back from a trial run in VA about 20 minutes ago. Awesome place. But I got the 4" rancho front and 4" ORD flip in the back and also 1" ORD body lift with 35" tires. During the trail ride, I got so PISSED so many times b/c my front tires kept rubbing the fenders. It makes the most awful noise. Then when I looked at the tire, the fender had ripped some chunks out. It made me so mad, that this Tuesday, I'm going out to buy me a recipricol (sp?) saw and cut the front fenders some. I'll take pics. But with 31" tires and a 4" lift, it'll definately look like 38" will fit, but I wouldn't think so.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

6. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Thanks Boss,

I'm sure your right. Also, 35" would probably look a lot better than I expect. At one point I wanted at least a 6" lift, and now 4" looks pretty sweet.

I appreciate the advice. I'm sure staying content w/ 35's will be the smart thing to do. (Unless I find some 35 3/4"s ;-))

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I trimmed my front fenders just like Steve, and my 35's still hit. I'm running a 6" suspension lift with a D60 in the front (about 1" higher than a 44). My 35" BFG's came very close to hitting, but never did. My 35" boggers, however, MASHED the fenders. They coulda rubbed on the floorboards of my cab if I had kept going. It depends on what kinda wheeling u do. A 4" w/35's on a 73-80 truck is not wise unless all you do is street driving. 6" with 38.5's is not enough unless you hog out the fenders, and you still won't stop them from hitting

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Check out the cuts on titantic's suburban over on the sub section. I can't remember what lift, but he's running 44's and his fenders are cut round like the '67-'72 style. Some major hogging, looks good too IMO.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL