Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Biggest optional tire?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JanneB, Sep 23, 2005.

1. JanneB

JanneB Registered Member Premium Member

Hi, I and allmost everyone else driving built trucks here in our country, Finland in Europe, have a big problem. They do not allow us to put bigger tires than the biggest optional tire + 2" :( :mad: .

I for instance have a K20 made 1981 and the stock tire is 9.50R16.5

If I put 33" under it and drive it on public roads I may get a ticket. If I get the ticket 3 times in 1 years time they take my drivers licens away for a few weeks :eek1: .

If any of you have some kind of document or other proof of optional tires offered in 1973-1988(91) I and all the others driving Chevys/GMC's K5/K10/K15/K20/K25/K30/K35 Blazers, Jimmys, Suburbans would be very happy :bow: .

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

31/10.5 were optional on the blazers/jimmys i think in the mid 80s

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My 83 was stock with 10r15 = 31x10.50x15 which measured actually 30 , so
    perhaps 32's would be fine since they measure 31 actually :D

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

The military K5's came from the factory with 31"x10.5"x15" tires. Don't know how that translates into metric.

I'll see if I can find you any sort of proof.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Lots of info, printed with Chevy/GMC all over it, can be found on my Brochures page .

-- A

6. JanneB

Thanks for the replys so far. I have looked at all the brochures in the link dremu posted. There is usually the stock tiresize and then it says "larger sizes available" :confused: . So what was really available?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

31x10.5R15 was the largest tire size offered on the Blazer.

8. Ozzie Bigbird

Ozzie Bigbird Registered Member

I don't know how the laws over there work but I know the Swedes have an amazing modified car culture whether it be hot rods, cruisers, 4x4 or anything else.

Down here we can get almost anything past our rego authorities if we get the go ahead from a certified engineer.

I would be talking to the rego authority first.

Cheers

9. JanneB

People living in Sweden can make allmost anything legal to drive the streets but I do not live in Sweden. It is an other country, different laws.

Trust me, it has been talked about since 1997 when the law changed. Before that one could put under whatever tire that would fit somehow. It really is not fair, the same biggest optional + 2" go for Suzukis and Suburbans, Unimogs whatever.

There is a possibility to get 35" under a 40/60 series Landcruisers and maybe Blazers but you have to make an application and there must be some good reasons to get the permit. Some "need" bigger tires if they work out in the forrest and so on. The verdict(?) costs 400 euros if I remember correctly, and it may be negative. So you have to pay for nothing if you are unlucky!