Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Biggest size tires on stock K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AJMBLAZER, Mar 21, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I know 31x10.5R15's came from the factory, but how big of a tire can I fit without a lift? When I get a K5 there isn't going to be much money left over to buy a lift yet, and I know whatever I get is going to need new tires (even if it has "good" tires on it/forums/images/icons/wink.gif), but I still want to get the biggest tires I can wedge under there.

Thinking about the 1" ORD body lift and the 1" ORD zero rate add a leaf. Maybe a little trimming. Hell, maybe some Bushwacker cut outs right off the bat with some 33's.

I'm thinking 32x11.5R15's if it's completely stock./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Who's actually done this? What fits, what hits?/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I ran 32's on my Jimmy when it was stock no rub. You can run 33's stock, but they will rub.

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ill say 33's if your springs are not too whooped. I had 33's in my stock blazer when i bought it, worked fine w/ no rub. i flexed it out a few times with no problem, but if i had disconected the swaybar i probably would have rubbed. (of course i had to go and buy 35's and cut up the fenders to fit them cause i couldnt wait for the lift......./forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I would think no bigger than 32's !

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm running 33x12.5 on 15x8s. I can them to rub flexing hard.

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Get creative and put 35's under it. It can be done with 2" of lift like you described and some hacking. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Trim your fenders and get 35" tires. I have a front shackle lift(about 1") and a rear add-a-leaf(about 1") with 35" BFG mud tires. I bought it this way and the tires rubbed going into my driveway, so I trimmed the fenders and no more rubbing. Later I added the ORD 1" lift. If you have the K5 addiction you will end up wanting bigger tires. Going straight to 35" tires will make you smile./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I scrub 32's on all four corners with 4 inch front springs and a shackle flip /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Course my truck ramps 800's on a 25 deg ramp. Now where it rubs is on flats and on the inner wheel tubs on the rear. So no big deal.
    33's will fit stock if you trim the rear edge of the front fenders and leave the sway bar connected it will work.
    1 inch body lift and Zero rates on the front shifting the axle forward an inch will do pretty decent with 33's and some trimming. You can probably get away without the sway. Again they will probably scrub on the inner fender up between the bolts in the back but it's flat there so it's doable.
    On the rear I would put 2 inch blocks and try to find STEEL blocks with no wedge to them. 2 inches is well within what the stock drive shaft can handle and should run vibration free.

9. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I have 32's and a couple front fenders that have a little bulge in them at the top because of the tire bottoming out in the wheel well.

Mike

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont see why u couldnt fit 35s if you modified inner/outter fenders wherever they rubbed.

J

11. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

When we bought my 85 in '97 it had 33x12.50x15s on it and never rubbed and we did have the sway bar on. We kept them on there for a year until my dad gave it to me then it was taken back down to stock size.

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

My 78 K5 is stock and I have 33x12.5s on 8 inch rims. The only time I rub is when there are huge icicles hanging on the from of the wells in front. I just kick off the ice. Other than that they don't rub at all and I think I could get away with larger without rubbing. Of course then they might rub a little if I ran over a log or something.

13. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I stuffed 35" Boggers with no lift and some trimming. It wasn't pretty but it worked.

14. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

35's are tempting, but I think it'd be better if I kept it closer to stock. 32's sound good. Not to mention the stock gearing is probably going to be 3.08 or 3.55, so 35's wouldn't play nice with those cogs./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Thanks guys. I've got a set of 15x8's with like 3 and 7/8" of backspacing, that should help to keep the tires off the fenders./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. ABO

ABO Registered Member

Was Able to fit 33x12.5x15's with barely any rubbing on the drivers side. No Problem.