Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Biggest Tire to run on 10 Bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigjblazer, Jun 18, 2002.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

Whats the biggest tire I can safely run on my stock 10 Bolts, FOR STREET USE ONLY. I am building up a street blazer, which i do not want to cut, and a trail blazer, which is gettin a full excess weight removal, including sheet metal. Thanks

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hell it's just a street queen throw some 44's on there! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

im building one for street only (mostly) also and am gonna run 38's on a 8" lift. i figure it will hold up fine for street use

keith

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have 35" BFG Mud Terrains and the gov lock doesnt engage sometimes, if you want to make sure it works and doesnt break get the 30 spline axles which are on 89 and older trucks and i think you need to get a diff that replaces the stock carrier because the 30 spline carrier is not as strong as the 28 spline.
    Hope that helps and make sense

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

10 bolts and 44's will put you on the cover of Four Wheeler every time. Just look at the Feb and June issues, (if ones a 12 bolt <front>, all the better /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

tom

6. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

What will the big tires do to harm the 10 bolts? I am thinking of putting 37's on my 85 k5. What should I do? I am not going to run it hard just mud a little. Will I have any axle trouble? How much does it cost to upgrade the 10 bolts?

7. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

it is the sheer size and weight of the tire and the amount they displace that are murder to 10 bolt axles. usually you will blow the ujoint on them although sometime and outer ear and the the inner ears. I ran 38" on my 10 bolt front for about 3 years 36's before that and only just recently did it break. I have 42's now and putting forged alloy axles and superior u joints in them if they blow well dana 60 time

8. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

How much does it cost to upgrade to a Dana 60?

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

depends on what all you want done. It's hard to find a D60/14 bolt combo for under $1000, and then you have to rebuild them, add gears and lockers if desired, crossover, hydro, new 8 lug rims...it can add up.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

For a street truck for drivability I would stay around 35-36. Minimal lift that will cause you minimal handling problems. Since you not going to have a lot of clearence issue and can run a stock sway bar you could run 35's with a 4 inch lift and maybe just a little fender timming. 35x12.50's handle way better on a 10 inch rim but your going to have more clearence issue that a stock 8 inch. If you go 10 inch go with a 4 inch backspace. Worked out really good on my truck. I'm running 4 inch lift in the front with 1 inch zero rates with the front axle offset forward one inch. I also have a 1 inch ORD body lift. Worked out good. With the sway on and fenders trimmed back to the the inner fender I have had no scrub problems even on the trail. I run no shims, raised steering arm, ORD quick disconnects, ORD Brace. My 75 rides better than my wifes stock 79 on 31's. Handling is a different story. The 79 can slam a corner but the Detroit in the back is not helping the handling on the 75.
    The Brakes are borderline for street use at that size. They will do the job but bigger then that and you got more tire then you got brakes to stop it. You will need to keep after the brakes and keep them in top notch condition. The one ton axles have much bigger brakes so it can handle stopping larger tires.

11. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

<font color="#666666"> I run 35's for wheelin and daily driving on my 10 bolts. There is no question that they can hold up to 35's on the street. This is of course if you don't drive like a mad man. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

12. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Go as big as you want. You'll regret it if you don't go big. I'm running 38x15.5's on my '90 Sub 10 bolt.

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey,

I'm running 35's on mine, but not for long. The extra strain from a bigger tire bouncing on it has bent two housings, the first being my 10-bolt with 4.56's in it, the second being my stock axle running 3.42's. You can give up hope on the Gov-Loc ever working with a tire over factory size. I used to run in mud a little and I have taken it rock-crawling, but a 14-bolt is still going to go under the rear-end. I've been told a 10-bolt will stand up to a 36" tire, ON THE STREET ONLY, but these roads in southern North Carolina have put a hurtin' on that P.O.S. axle.

14. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

click on my sig and you can see a 10 bolt front with 40" gumbo mudders. of course i have decided not to wheel my truck untill i can get a notebook full of other mods done to it (one being a dana 60 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ). but if you dont go bouncing the piss out it can survive.

15. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

I don't know what kind of engine you've got, but never try a burnout. Your friends will laugh at you. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

16. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i ran 38"s on my ten bolts, i did some hard muddin and some trails, but when i got on the rocks and had to use my right foot a little i broke the rear end, on the other hand, for the street, i never had a problem on the street at all and i like stomping the gas cuz i love the sound of my truck but yea you will be fine on the street with atleast 38"S

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

did they make k5's in a 1 ton model..or even 3/4 ton? or was it all just 1/2 ton?

Bryan-thanx

18. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure they were all just 1/2 ton. Maybe the military version is different but I'm pretty sure it's actually 1/2 ton too. I'm not positive though.

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..i think so to, it sure would be neat if they did make 1 tons..if you could find one man, youd be set!..but you can always look for one thats been converted but ya dont see it to much.

Bryan

20. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

no all of the m1009s had 10 bolt axles. thats from looking in andys cucv page and of course riding in ghte damn things for a little while. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif