Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bike Carriers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I am looking for ideas for a bike carrier. MTB season is fast approaching and last years bright idea of throwing it on the roof thing aint going to happen. I have a commercially made (reece maybe?) carrier but it severly blows (hangs out about 5') I can fabricate whatever you can dream up so fire away. I will be fabbing up my new bumper soon so a swing away could be a posibility? I would like to retain the ability to use the back window/tailgate without too much hassle so somehting that completely removes might be nice. Thanks everyone!

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I have a thule 4 bike carrier.. only protrues about 3 feet off the back bumper and mounts to your hitch. Been using it for several years, no problems yet. You can also get a hitch rack that has the bike support. I think I saw in some catalog with bar or something that slides into the back of the K5 letting you mount your fork. But, I dont think the k5 is long enough for it. I'd stay with a hitch version of some sort.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have a Hitch Haul with the bike carrier piece you put into it. It's ok...? If you want a picture of it try a JCWhitney catalog. It's the same thing even though mine wasn't from them...might work? You can also go into a few local bike shops and see what they are selling and then steal something they carry you like?

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ChevyCaGal on 03/29/01 07:46 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I've seen a bike carrier that hangs off the spare tire. I wish I could tell exactly where I saw it. It would work with a swing out tire mount. If I find it I'll let you know. I think it was for a Jeep.

5. hump100

hump100 Newbie

Try looking into Yakima products. They are now making a wide range of bike carriers. They have the kind you slide into your receiver hitch or they have one you can mount onto a spare tire. All of their products are backed up by a lifetime warranty and the company is actually very easy to deal with if you do have a problem. The receiver mount versions start at about $140 for a basic two bike Roc 2 ($160 for the Roc 4) and can go up to $350 for the deluxe versions. The Roc series is upgradable for your wants or needs. They have a website. WWW.yakima.com

LOCKED IN AND ROCK-IN!

6. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have had my blazer for almost a month now, and MTB season is, as you said, coming quick! I plan on removing the rear seat, and have fabbed up a carrier that holds two bikes by the forks. It is basically like what the Nissan Xterra has in the rear, and it is removable!! Sorry if this is not the route your are looking to go! I also have a trailer fabbed out of an '88 Ranger bed that can haul four bikes in it, so I can haul a hell of a lot of bikes, but only two people, or 5 if I leave in the rear seat!

1977 Blazer w/ 350 GM crate motor
    44 front/ 12-bolt rear, gear driven NP205
    31x10.50r15 BFG All-terrain- Larger on the way!

7. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

My Yakima is pretty decent. I take it off when I'm not biking so I don't worry about it blocking the tail gate. It does drop down though.