Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bike suggestions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big_truxx, Jan 26, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

What are some suggestions for a decent possibly less expensive bike for a couple people to ride around on? As I stated in a previous post I do not know much about bikes. So I would like some opinions of people who do :waytogo: :grin:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sportster if you want the harley like bike. Sooner or later I will get a real job and buy a bike, but I will probably be one of those guys that says that till I die.

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

You ever ridden on one? And if so they pretty cool/comfy and all that? I was thinkin of a sportster maybe as I heard the new one starts @ $6,500 but not sure if I would like to find something else used cheaper or not. Not like I would be able to afford it soon but ya know :grin:

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Huffy's are nice.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

You can buy used ones for like 2k. Nope never ridden one. My dad had one, he hated it. He had a Kawasaki LTD 1000 before that. He loved the Kawi hated the Harley, but he traded the Kawi straight up for the Harley. This was back in the days before Ninjas and such so his was the hot rice bike of the day.

No offense but don't you have a few big things to be thinking about before you worry about a bike?

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I prefer the Harley, but they are not cheap. For just a cheap little bike, I had a mid 80's Kawasaki LTD 440. Nice little street bike, belt drive. Something like that might work for a basic 2 seater bike.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just kidding there.

For a decent used bike if you don't want to spend the scratch for a Harley I kind of like the old Virago's, my friend had a real nice one, I rode it a few times, it lasted him 5 years with no major problems and he bought it used. The old Gold Wings and Silver Wings are decent Hondas but not as cool looking as a Harley. I like the look and sound of Harleys a lot but for reliable, used and cheap jap is a safer way to go.

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Wow! A used sportster for $2k? That seems like a wonderful deal. And well kinda... I am waiting for monday to come around before my scheduled bus trip so some time to kill on here :grin:

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:haha::rotfl:

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Liked the look of the virago :grin: what prices would I be looking at for a used bike like that? Also what size is good for 2 people?

11. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

OK, since Hardlys have been covered, how about a useful bike. What are you planning to do with it? I used to live somewhat near you and LOVED riding a KLR 650. They go for about $5k brand new and are kind of like the K5 of bikes. They handle the road great and will also take you down all the logging roads if you feel the need to venture off road. I have one and want nothing more. Ride it right to the trail and then back home again. People ride around the world on these. :thumb:

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Another cool bike to have is the Triumph. Something like a 650.

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of a road bike. Something to ride around sometimes. I preffer k5's for offroading :grin:

14. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Another thing I take into consideration is a passenger on the bike. :grin:

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

who makes the triumph? and how much them cost on average used?

16. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I checked on www.cycletrader.com just for the hell of it, saw some nice 535's, 750's and 1100's from $2800 to $5000. My friend had the 1100 and loved it, and he was a real big guy so I think it would be great for 2 people. Go on that site, you can search for any make, year and price. Triumph is the make, by the way.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Triumph makes Triumph, or they used too anyways.

18. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:haha::haha: That would figure. :grin: Leave it to the bike newb to ask who makes triumph :haha: Thanks all. I'll go check out cycle trader and browse there for a bit see what I find. :waytogo:

19. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Cycletrader is awesome :grin: all the pretty bikes :waytogo:

20. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I had a Kawasaki 650 back in the early 80's and it was a nice road bike. Some of the Hondas are a good road bike too. If you can, I would suggest you take one of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding courses first. You will learn alot and especially if your going to carry a passenger you owe it to them to get the training beofre jepordizing their life.

For two people something between a 650-1200cc would be fairly cheap and easy to ride. Theres a ton of Honda Shadows out there cheap. Harleys are very expensive and not the smoothest or easiest bikes to ride. My Heritage Classic cost just over $20K (before mod's) and weighs just under 700 pounds without rider/passenger or saddle bags loaded. Have to be real careful not to drop it or its going to hurt.

I would suggest getting your riders permit first, maybe find a bike shop that rents them and try some on the weekends first to get a feel. Again, if you can, take the riding course. You can learn things that can save your life of more importantly, your wife or kids life if they're on the back.