Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bikini or Bimini Tops

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by acablik, Aug 15, 2002.

1. acablik

acablik Registered Member

Who makes Bikini (or Bimini) tops for 1973-1975 Blazers? How much are they? Are they easy to make? If so what materials would be good and water resistant and where do you get these materials?

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey Alen nobody makes a bikini top for our rigs /forums/images/icons/frown.gif theres a shop down the street from me in tucker that does tops and interiors i've been meaning to se how must they would charge to make one. I'll give you a hollar when i find out. Alen where in atlanta are you?

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I just got one made from my local upholstery shop.

It looks pretty good, and uses Sunbrella material.

I also used a convertible rod piece for the front. Bolted this to the existing hard top mounts. The shop sewn in some straps (like the jeeps or boats have) on the top and I hooked this up to my bedrails with some hooks.

I used a charcoal sunbrella material. I wish I went with a little lighter top. Oh well next time.

They charged me:
    $37 for the material (I got it oversized because I had NO IDEA what I was doing).
    $4.00 for the nylon webbing (for the back connectors like jeeps).
    $2.00 fo the slide adjusters in the nylon webbing.
    $10.00 for the Awning rail (this is an aluminum piece where the bikini slides into.
    $20.00 for their labor and expertise on how it should go together.

I really took about 1 1/2 hours of their time. They only charged me for 1/2 hour of time. I think she is still a little sore about that. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

DAMN IF IT DOESN'T look like a JEEP or a '76 Blazer now /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

I am rather fair skinned, so I can't be in direct sunlight for more than 30 minutes. I am sure I will use this top when I wheel.

If your interested, I can get some pics made up.

It actually did pretty good on the freeway too! > 70 MPH!

The rear still flapped a bit on my roll-bar. But not much louder.

5. acablik

Captain, I'm over in brookhaven (near lenox mall). Yeah, let me know if the guy in tucker makes you one. Thanks

6. acablik

Your top sounds like a good set up. If you could, post/send some pictures so I can use them as an example for myself or the upolstry shop. Thanks