Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bikini top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell Keys, Jul 22, 2000.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Does any one know of a co. that makes bikini tops for Blazers, and how much they might cost? I took the one off my bros. Jeep and put it on the Blazer and it sure looked good but the measurements just aren't the same.thanks-Russell

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nobody makes a true bikini for a K5. I have heard a top from a FJ40 land cruiser will be a close fit and cheap in J.C. Whitney. I measured one on a friends FJ40 and while it will cover most it is a bit narrow and won't quite reach the side windows to keep the rain off you.
    Now I made a top from a $15 canvas tarp I picked up at Northern Tool. I hit the Home Depot and used a couple of peices of conduit to make some hoop's and it came out not to bad. Somewhat keeps the rain off and breathes good so you don't bake if you got no A/C. Click on the link below my name and there a a couple of pictures on my web site that my 75 has it on. Most are in the "scary pictures" section.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Russell, I've had an idea for one of these for awhile. If you can, get some 1/2" or 3/4" conduit or lite tubing and make a bow with tabs to fasten where the front of the top bolts on. An upholstry shop should be able to sew up a piece of nice canvas to wrap around the "bow". If you have the factory roll bar you're set. Just have the shop sew on some straps to hold it tight. I will try to attach a picture of what I'm talking about. Let me know if it works out. I don't have a roll bar......that's my excuse! By the way, if you weld the tabs onto galvanized conduit. don't breath the fumes........ya might croak!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Matt Ellis from here did something pretty neat that he showed me in June thats along the header conduit idea. He didn't want to drill holes in his windsheild header to fit the Kayline he bought so he found an old top in the junk yard and cut the front section off. He rigged up the front header and the sections that go around the door windows to pop on and off with some latches and attached the top to them. Worked pretty good and he said it sealed good useing the existing seals. This solved both the poopr seal around the windows that most of the tops have and also kept from having to drill holes.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/