Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bikini top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by powertrip240, Jan 8, 2003.

1. powertrip240

powertrip240 Newbie

hey, I'm new here. does anyone know where to get a bikini top for a '75 K5? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thx

2. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

one of the guys (thebeeter) in my club SoCalBigDawg.com has a 73 he is running a first gen donco bikini /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nobody makes one. I have sugjested to Specialty top that they make one available but so far they haven't

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Where are you located at?

I'm looking for someone in the Tulsa area who might be willing to donate there truck for a little while to help me work on a top for the first and second (73-75) guys. I'm closing in on one for the half cab crowd, just need a "donor" for research on the others.

Thanks.

KP

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Here is a drawing I made for the front bow for a bikin top. The material will wrap around the tube and be sewn. The back part will be supported by the cage hoop and straped down like a Jeep bikini. It is made from 3/4 conduit with tabs welded on . It is secured by wing nuts. See the following pics. I haven't completed mine due to budget restraints....but I think it will work well. With the ridgid bow you don't have to drill holes for snaps and it should seal pretty well against the stock weather strip. [​IMG]

More pics here:

#2 1/4x20 Nut welded to top of tab.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The Tops that Steve sells from Specialty if you get the Fasttrac you can zip out all the windows and runn it as a "Safari" top. My windows pretty well stay in the garage all summer. It's enough top that with the windows up you don't get wet in the rail unless the rain is going sideways. It would take VERY little for Specialty to make a safari top and I will e-mail them again about it. THe problem STC has is not all the trucks have a roll bar. It was a option unlike a Jeep. Somebody said that the Bikini for a FJ40 is about as wide as they come and they use a simular way to retain the the front at the windsheild as the STC top. I have thought about getting one of those and trying it out. They are cheap at J.C.Whitney. Problem is it still doesn't cover the rear passenger but the STC will.
    http://www.coloradok5.com/stcreview.shtml is a review I did on the top.

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

so wheres the info for the first gen bikini tops?
    I have the fasttrac sitting brand new in the box waiting to go on but was also looking for the bikini top... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif