Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bikini top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGBIRD, Jul 24, 2003.

1. BIGBIRD

BIGBIRD Registered Member

Has anyone come up with a good way to attach a bikini top the windshield frame /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif on a '73-'75 Blazer ?

2. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i am going to use the front one or two inches of the old top that connect to the windoframe. bring the fabric over the old top and queeze it between the strip of the old top and the windoframe. my old hard top is so bad that is the only thing it can be used for.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mine has a raised lip screwed to the frame that a small chanell in top slides into. The other common option is snaps.

4. BIGBIRD

Did you do it ? How did you bend the channel so that it conformed to the windshield frame bend ?

5. bigjbear

The lip is thin enough that it conforms to the frame when screwed down. The chanel that is sewn into the top is also flexible enough to bend. Mine stops about one inch from the edge on either side so it doesn't see the severe bend one that went all the way over would. Both parts are about 1/8" thick.

6. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

if you're going to talk about bikini tops, i think you what you need to post a pic of... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. swilson

swilson Registered Member

I've got a '74 Blazer and I used a Bestop bikini for a pre '76 CJ-5. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I attached the 2 piece channel adapter for a later model jeep by screwing it into the metal across the top of the windshield. Its a c-channel with a flange to screw it down. Got it from Central4wd.com Had to bend the ends flatter a little but my hammer was big enough. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifThe bikini works great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...just a little too wide. Gonna take it down to the local awning shop and see how much to cut and resew. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

heres a quick pic of mine you can find more on my page and how i did it blazer page

[​IMG]

9. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

All I did was snaps into the window frame. When the top had to go back on it fit right over the snaps, I did put a little extra pieces of weatherstripping over them to help seal. I didn't drive the truck on the road so leaking afterwards was't a big issue. I bet putting the snaps on the bottom side of the frame would work really good

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I went to an upholstery shop that specialized in convertibles.

I got a piece of Sunbrella ($40) and she suggested I use there aluminum "C" channel. I got 4 1/2 feet of this ($10).

Drilled three holes in it to go the the OEM clamps for the Hard top.

I gave her the dimensions I wanted and she sewed a bungee cord in the Sunbrella. Now the bungee corded sunbrella slides in the "C" channel.

She also sewed on some straps $3.00 and clips.

It ran me about $65 - $75 after she sewed it all together for me.

This is my 2nd summer with it. I see the very corners where the straps are is starting to rip. It would be better if the straps went about another 2" up into the Sunbrella instead of only 1".

I can get pics if your interested.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hey contact Michael off this board. He made a saweet piece for his fulltop and kept it when he sold the truck. You could probably get it from him for a couple pennies.

12. BIGBIRD

Pictures would be great. I'm having trouble visualizing the C channel. Also, did you bend it to the contour of the windshield to mak it water tight there ?

13. cashew

cashew Registered Member

Hey there Topoff, I'm interested. If you could post some pics that would be great. I just went through the joy that is removing my hard top, and while it's getting reglazed, I wanted to make a bikini top so my wife and son don't get burned up on the road with me.

Thanks in advance.

14. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

http://www.norcalbigdawgs.net/phpBB2/viewalbum.php?a=54

Click on the pics for a close-up.

It's definately not water-tight. I think you would want/need to go with a full soft-top for a water-tight. What about your rear-end in the rain anyways?

Besides, I have this big adversion to snaps in my windshield. So no soft-top for me either.

Good luck. If you want any other pics, let me know.

I wish they sewn the straps another two inches up inside the sunbrella material, as it is starting to tear just ahead of the strap now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. BIGBIRD

Thanks for the pics. You gave me some good ideas. Since I'm primarily in it for the rain protection, I think I'll try something a little different. I'll try and use that same c channel, remove the back piece of weatherstripping, turn the c channel upside down, trim the flat part to the verticle curve of the frame, and fasten it to the frame. If I goop it up she should be pretty water tight up front. Once a year I'll install that channel and then remove when I put the hardtop on for the winter.

Hey, I liked that hardtop storage. How'd you do that, couldn't tell much from the picture.

16. bigjbear

If you screw the channel to the windshield frame it will keep the rain out, well at least enough to drive.

17. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I don't need water tight fitness, so that wasn't my issue. I just wanted my white butt to be protected from the sun.
    Else I would be as red as my rig. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I don't think the Sunbrella material that I used is water-tight anyhow. You may want to find some vinyl, or maybe even marine-vinyl. I am not sure what the jeeps use for their bikini/soft-tops. I would think it is vinyl as opposed to the Sunbrella or denim.

It sounds like you are on the right track for the water-tightness. Let us know how it goes.

The hard-top is simply in place by four little aluminum hooks. The type of hooks that you find at your local hardware store to hold up misc stuff in your garage. I used some (upside-down question marks) hooks that screw into the 2 x 4 joists in my garage ceiling. Then I have some chain and hooked into the aluminum hooks.

I take the rear off first, hook that in place. Then I hook the front underneath the window channels. The hooks are placed so the two rear hooks push it forward somewhat, while the two front hooks that go into the door windows are somewhat close together and are forced in the corner of the window. The only problems is I still just slightly hit the back part of the top when I walk through my garage. I am 6' 0".

If your interested, I can get pics of that too... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

18. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

XnoahX........Where did you get that material? I am looking for something to put over my cage in the rear for the kids and that looks like what I want. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Of course it just rained here two days ago... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

20. cashew

cashew Registered Member

Hey Topoff, I know that rig. I drive by it every time I go to my mother in laws. Next time I drive by, mind if I stop and take a closer look?

And yeah, i feel you on the rain thing. We got rain up here in Concord too, and I had a pretty wet convertible for a day.