Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bill Cosby raises hell

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Jul 2, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I love it when people tell the truth.

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street,"

It's great that he has the balls to say this, but even greater that he said it sitting right next to old Jesse Jackson.

Full Story:
    Cosby Has Harsh Words for Black Community

By DON BABWIN
    Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) -- Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

He also had harsh words for struggling black men, telling them: "Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."

Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them. He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street," Cosby said during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference.

"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Cosby elaborated Thursday on his previous comments in a talk interrupted several times by applause. He castigated some blacks, saying that they cannot simply blame whites for problems such as teen pregnancy and high school dropout rates.

"For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around," he said. "Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you're sitting in."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.

"When you put on a record and that record is yelling `n----- this and n----- that' and you've got your little 6-year-old, 7-year-old sitting in the back seat of the car, those children hear that," he said.

He also condemned black men who missed out on opportunities and are now angry about their lives.

"You've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you're (earning) minimum wage," Cosby said. "You should have thought more of yourself when you were in high school, when you had an opportunity."

Cosby appeared Thursday with the Rev. Jesse Jackson, founder and president of the education fund, who defended the entertainer's statements.

"Bill is saying let's fight the right fight, let's level the playing field," Jackson said. "Drunk people can't do that. Illiterate people can't do that."

Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.

"Dogs, water hoses that tear the bark off trees, Emmett Till," he said, naming the black youth who was tortured and murdered in Mississippi in 1955, allegedly for whistling at a white woman. "And you're going to tell me you're going to drop out of school? You're going to tell me you're going to steal from a store?"

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

"Let them talk," he said.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Jackson would do good to take [darn] note instead of flying around the country making everything black kids do WRONG into a race issue.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My hat is off to Bill for telling it like it is! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If a white man had said any of that, every cable news channel would be talking about it 24x7, while interviewing "experts" such as the Lunatic "Rev" Al Sharpton and others on the fringes of reality. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Perhaps Bill will do some good for his race with his tirades. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

What's funny is that apparantly this speech was made in mid-May, and the press has just recently started reporting it. I guess they were all scared to say anything because it's not terribly PC. I've been saying similar stuff about hip-hop culture for a while now, the difference is that I'm a white guy, so for me to say it is racist.

I hope that Dr. Cosby's speech wakes up some people into taking some responsibility for their own lives. More likely though, they'll say that he's out of touch with the black community and has sold out to whitey. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My wife just sent me that.

Bill makes an incredibly great point, and the white man that capitalizes on that to feed fires of racism should take Bills mirror advice. He's recognizing a social problem and trying stimulate efforts to overcome it, race is simply the container that's let these problems fester.

Odd that he's an entertainer making a political/social statement, and he's not working in any anti-Bush rhetoric!

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Shaggy - this is a second speech in Chicago. The one in May was in DC (I think). The press did report it back in May - but had VERY LIMITED coverage. As Harry said - if a white man had said ANY of that - he would have been branded a racist!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well said bill /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What's funny is that apparantly this speech was made in mid-May, and the press has just recently started reporting it. I guess they were all scared to say anything because it's not terribly PC. I've been saying similar stuff about hip-hop culture for a while now, the difference is that I'm a white guy, so for me to say it is racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your talking his thing at Howard Univ or someplace in DC...this was this week he said this. I loved the look of Jessie Jackson standing behind him.

God forbid someone have to take responsibility for there own actions instead of having someone else to blame it on /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Maybe this will sink in to some people and they will wake up and get off the pitty pot.

9. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe this will sink in to some people and they will wake up and get off the pitty pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That will NEVER happen because the people that NEED to hear this (or read it - oops - I forgot - they can't read!) are the very ones Mr. Cosby is talking about!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I always liked Bill Cosbys work and ethic

Black popular culture as it is now is not self sustaining, eventually it will kill itself off

Good luck to all black people who have enough sense to act properly

Except Leroy, he still scares the crap out of me

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Shaggy - this is a second speech in Chicago. The one in May was in DC (I think). The press did report it back in May - but had VERY LIMITED coverage. As Harry said - if a white man had said ANY of that - he would have been branded a racist!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, OK, I gotcha. The radio station I listen to in the morning actually covered the last speech (Armstrong and Getty; conservative info-tainment show that's available as a webcast), so I originally thought that this was a second speech; I was cornfused when I went to Google News search to confirm and only found articles on the first speech, so I went and made an assumption. Damn me... I did another search just now and found a couple of things on this speech too. Thanks for helping me pull my head out of my ass. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

Whats funny about what Cosby said is that alot of it could apply to all kids regardless of color.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i agree

14. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats funny about what Cosby said is that alot of it could apply to all kids regardless of color.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Too bad that it's not all that "funny", know what I mean?

15. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

I used the word funny in reference to newyorkins post about people trying to capitalize on what was said and not the message Cosby was giving.Maybe funny was not the best word choice but I think we are on the same page.I believe that what he said applies to alot of kids these days.Its just sad that the talking heads only see his message as applying to black kids.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Cosby rocks...................

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

It's not funny "haha", it's funny "hmmm". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I used the word funny in reference to newyorkins post about people trying to capitalize on what was said and not the message Cosby was giving.Maybe funny was not the best word choice but I think we are on the same page.I believe that what he said applies to alot of kids these days.Its just sad that the talking heads only see his message as applying to black kids.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I agree with you in that this does apply to all kids, however I don't think any "talking heads" took his quote out of context, he (Bill Cosby) was most definitely talking about black kids. The point is that while many white public figures will speak about these types of problems, it is very rare for a black public figure to speak out on these matters, it often results in them being labeled an "Uncle Tom". The point of my posting this was not to call attention to the strayings of any particular group of kids, but rather to commend Bill Cosby on having a set and taking the troad less travelled. Especially in front of that idiot Jesse Jackson.

Apparently my intents here were misread by some.

20. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Bill Cosby has guts to back up his convictions. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif