Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bill O'Reilly scandal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by k5james, Oct 27, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Bill O\'Reilly scandal

Anyone keeping up with this Bill O'Reilly scandal? I can't help myself, I just can't believe how absofreakinglutely ironic it is that he's going through this crap considering he made his mark bashing Bubba for the same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: Bill O\'Reilly scandal

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone keeping up with this Bill O'Reilly scandal? I can't help myself, I just can't believe how absofreakinglutely ironic it is that he's going through this crap considering he made his mark bashing Bubba for the same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well let me express some words on the amount that I really care about this....................................

Don't watch him nor do I care, though so far some of the stuff I've read about it has been somewhat 'interesting.'

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'll wait until the dust settles to see if any of it is actually true. From what I've seen so far, the woman is a wack job. Doesn't mean he didn't necessarily engage in some nasty talk, but I'll wait to see the outcome later before I decide if O'Reilly is a hypocrite. I predict though that the story is going to die a slow death.

4. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't watch him nor do I care, though so far some of the stuff I've read about it has been somewhat 'interesting.'

[/ QUOTE ]

To say the least. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

He is just as bad as any single minded person out there. Don't watch him and don't care.

Like most people prettending to be perfect, in reality they aren't. They need to practice what they preach or STFU.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive never seen him, I *think* he's on Fox and I dont have cable /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Isnt he accused of sexually harassing someone and isnt he considered a conservative commentator/editorialist?

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Bill O'Reilly is an ass, a rude self important bastard.

that being said, I find it hard to take the girl's complaint seriously since she came back to work for them after he supposedly started harrassing her.

But, he's a jackass so I don't care if they nail him.

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

A little OT, but Fox is on the airwaves around here. Interesting that it isn't where you are. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Fox News and Fox are two different networks (same company). Are you sure it's on the public airwaves?

On the Bill O'Reilly thing, pretty interesting, not terribly surprising, I don't know if I believe the accuser or the accused. Whether he's guilty or not, it sure sounds like extortion, and a ridiculous amount of money for something that apparently wasn't bad enough for her to address before going to a lawyer. If he did do whatever she's accusing him of, which he's not denying either, that's probably pretty hypocritical of him... Surprise surprise, another celebrity that has a different face for TV.
    I liked him for a while, but then got lukewarm on him. I like his aggressive style sometimes, other times I don't. I don't think I agree with all his views, but who really cares enough to look into what a tv commentator's views are? He's not running for office and I'm not endorsing him for anything. More proof that the news organizations have nothing better to do than talk about dirty laundry.
    He is supposed to be independent, not right or left.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think this is pretty much a dead issue.
    What do they call it?
    A dead cat bounce.
    It wil go nowhere
    I dont really listen much to Bill he is way to Liberal foe me.

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

It's funny. In this one thread he has already been referred to as a liberal and a conservative.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Heard on the news on the way home that he settled out of court for undisclosed blah blah blah...

Too liberal for you?? Where do you live again? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    A dead cat bounce.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be an investor, I used to use that term when I traded stocks.

14. bigyellowjimmy

Looks like its a done deal /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10-29-2004 7:02 AM
    By SAMUEL MAULL, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK -- Citing his wish to shield his family, Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly settled a harassment lawsuit brought by a former producer accusing him of graphically discussing sex with her.

"This brutal ordeal is now officially over, and I will never speak of it again," O'Reilly said on Thursday night's edition of his talk show, "The O'Reilly Factor."

O'Reilly, who is married with two children, also dropped an extortion lawsuit against his accuser and her lawyer. Both sides have agreed to keep the details confidential, O'Reilly's attorney said.

Andrea Mackris, 33, who was a producer on the show, sued the outspoken, top-rated TV host Oct. 13, alleging O'Reilly made a series of explicit phone calls to her, advised her to use a vibrator and telling her about sexual fantasies involving her.

Earlier that day, O'Reilly, 55, filed a lawsuit accusing Mackris and her lawyer of trying to extort $60 million in "hush money" over her allegations.

"This matter has caused enormous pain, but I had to protect my family, and I did," O'Reilly, whose ratings have gone up 30 percent since the lawsuits were filed, told his viewers Thursday. "All I can say to you is please do not believe everything you hear and read."

Shortly before "Factor" aired, O'Reilly's lawyer, Ronald Green, issued a statement saying the cases and claims had been withdrawn and all parties agreed there was no wrongdoing by O'Reilly, Mackris or Mackris' lawyer.

Green's statement about the settlement did not mention money, and it could not be learned immediately whether it was a factor.

Mackris' lawyer didn't return several telephone calls seeking comment.

Earlier, O'Reilly had vowed to fight the accusations.

"If I have to go down, I'm willing to do it," he said just after the suits were filed. "I'm going to take a stand. I'm a big mouth on the air and I'm a big mouth off the air."

He called the case "the single most evil thing I have ever experienced, and I've seen a lot. But these people picked the wrong guy."

Green had refused to confirm or deny specific things that Mackris claimed O'Reilly said to her, but he said at the time that O'Reilly "denies that he has done anything that rises to the level of unlawful sexual harassment."

Green also had said he believed there were tapes of conversations between the two and asked a court to compel Mackris to produce them so they could be played publicly.

"I know that he does not fear what is on the tapes," Green said at the time.

Among the accusations made in the suit, Mackris said O'Reilly suggested during a phone conversation in August that she buy a vibrator and was clearly excited. Before hanging up, she said, O'Reilly told her: "I appreciate the fun phone call." She contended he made a similar call Sept. 21, ending by saying: "Next time you'll come up to my hotel room and we'll make this happen."

Several days after filing her sexual harassment suit, Mackris filed amended court papers, claiming that Fox had violated her rights under New York state law by firing her after the allegations were raised.

Fox denied Mackris had been fired, saying she had simply stopped coming to work.

A spokeswoman for Fox would not say whether Mackris is still on Fox's payroll.

Green had said Mackris never taken her complaint to anyone at Fox. She had returned to Fox earlier this year after a short stint at CNN, and O'Reilly agreed to match her salary at CNN, the network said.

Fox produced an e-mail Mackris sent to a friend last month, saying things are "wonderful," and she was "surrounded by really good, fun people. I'm home and I'll never leave again."

Mackris said in her lawsuit that she told O'Reilly she would return to Fox only if he stopped behaving inappropriately.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.